removing PDF plugin, file list only indexing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing PDF plugin, file list only indexing

Does anybody have a solution for PDF plugin removal. I have not been able to get Zoom to properly index PDF files. According to the FAQ I should either use adobe online PDF, Adobe Capture or Paper capture. After extensive search and conversation with Adobe Tech support and customer service, (which by the way customer support and sales support do not have all the facts straight regarding their products) does not provide the best or economical solution. I would like to got information on removing the PDF plugin to eliminate the index error and just use file listing capabilites of the zoom engine. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated....Thanks....Jblake

You can simply disable indexing of PDF files by removing the ".pdf" extension you've added in your extensions list. This can be found in the Configuration window, under the "Scan Options" tab. This will prevent the errors from occuring.

If you really wish to permanently uninstall the plugin, you can simply delete the "pdftotext.exe" file found in your Zoom plugins folder (usually "C:\Program Files\Zoom Search Engine 4.2\plugins\"), but we should note that there is no real need to do this.

I presume that you have also determined that your PDF files are scanned from physical paper sources, and have not been OCR'ed to be searchable. For other readers reference, this is a link to the original FAQ:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...ml#scannedpdfs
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

pdf plugin fix

To all users who have had problems with PDF plugins. I have to say how gratefull I am that both David and Raymond looked into the pdf problem. I am happier they were able to fix it after some very frustrating moments.

The problem was, none of the pdf files would index properly. Even though they were OCR, cataloged and scanned. Everytime I ran the index routine, I got nothing but errors. 99% errors.

After submitting the sample pdf file or about 100 pages, David and Raymone found and resolved the problem. Hopefully they posted the new plugin on the website for everyone to download.

You can't possibly imagine how happy I was to get this problem fixed. I hope everyone takes advantage of the plugin fix. I am writing this post to say thanks to David and Raymond for making a difficult programming week turn around 180 degrees to the positive.

Jerald Blake

Comment

Yes, the updated PDF plugin fixes a few problems and is available to download at:
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/plugins.html
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X