Finding files using an portion of title quark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding files using an portion of title quark

The alphanumeric sequence of a file name and title determines if the search will or will not find files using a section of a file name (or title) as the query.

In practice, the file name (and title) sequence of elements determines if the search engine will find documents using the "601577P02" element of the title as the query (see following):

If file/title is 601577P02_G_010605.pdf the search engine fails to find files using the 601577P02 query.
    For files/title G_010605_601577P02.pdf the search engine will find files using the 601577P02 query.

So, the sequece of elements in a title detirmines if a file will be found using portion of the title. Can someone find a solution? Renaming filenames and thier titles is not an option.

I've tested the situation you described, recreating those exact filenames, and I did not have any problems. I was able to find both files with the same query.

Your problem may be a configuration issue. There are some key options that you need to have configured to achieve what you are after.

First of all, you should have "Filename" enabled for indexing, under the "Indexing Options" tab of the Configuration window. This allows you to perform searches on filenames.

On this same tab, you should UNCHECK the boxes for "Dots" and "Underscores". By doing so, you allow dots and underscore characters to split words, so a word such as "dog_cat.bird" will match against "dog", "cat" and "bird".

Re-index your site with these settings specified, and you should find that it will now behave the way you want.

If you continue to have problems, give us a URL to your search page and some working examples so that we can take a closer look. If this is not possible, you can email us a zip file containing your search files.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Ray,

I've tried the suggestions but they did not take care of the problem.
      I've created a rudimentary wed site that replicates the problem and zipped it.

Our website is actually a quite large intranet.

How do I send the zip file to you?

Could it being a JAVA site have anything to do with it? Changing the underscore or period to a space turns the query into two parts; a phrase?

Chris Bungart

Comment

You can E-Mail zip files to

zoom [at] wrensoft [dot] com

> Could it being a JAVA site have
        > anything to do with it?

Do you mean that your entire site is done with Java?

Or do you mean that you are using the Javascript option in Zoom?

Note that Java and JavaScript are not the same thing.

---
        David

Comment

Before I email this ZIP file I want clarify that I meant using the JavaScript option in Zoom.

Also, I experimented using the ASP option in Zoom in this test sight on the network server (which supports ASP) and all the problems vanished.

I just need explanation on how to insert the search form onto the main pages of our site instead accessing a special search page through a link.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

There are details about adding your own search form here,
            http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...tml#searchform

Maybe the initial "title quark" problem is only appearing in the Javascript script. We can check it out on Monday.

----
            David

Comment

I've tested the above scenario with the Javascript option in Zoom, and found no problem.

If you want to pursue this further, you can email us the files and we can take a look for other possible causes.
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
              X