Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search report can't open statistics log file

The search report generator is giving me this message:
    "Unable to open file. Check that file exist and that read permissions are set."
    I downloaded the file to my local site, set the read permissions appropriately and can open the file in Notepad.
    Any ideas?
    P.S. It did work previously, so I know it can!

If you are opening the search stats file from your local drive and it gives this message, the file might be corrupt.

Can you give us the URL to the file on your server. Or if this is not possible, E-Mail us the file.

What version of Zoom are you using? I do seem to remember we had a bug in this area about 3 months ago. (Which has been fixed).

-------
    David

Comment

statistics generator problem

David,
      I'll mail you the file, though it looked as I would expect when I opened it in Notepad. I'm using version 4.2, build 2004 (which I bought about three months ago, as it happens).

Comment

There was never a build 2004. I assume you mean 1004.

There were some changes to this function in 4.2.1005. See,
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html

So you might want to download and try the current release 4.2.1006.

---
        David

Comment

statistics generator problem

I just installed the latest version but that gave the same error message with the file that I have sent to you.

Comment

Can you try moving the file to different directory.

I think there is a bug.

So I see the same error message as you do if the searchwords.log file is already in the output directory and I open the file from the output directory.

We should fix this up. It should display a warning message about having the input and output file in the same directory.

--
            David

Comment

I am having the same problem

I tried moving the file, I checked and double-checked the permissions, I downloaded the latest version (4.2.1012), and nothing works. What now??

Comment

Where did you move the file to?

What is the "Report output folder" specified? (you can check by clicking on the "Options" button in the "Search Statistics" window)

Note that before generating the results, Zoom will first attempt to copy or download the log file from the location specified (in the "Search Statistics window) to the "Report output folder".

If you have specified a "Report output folder" which you do not have write access to, then this error will occur.

If you have the log file currently opened in another application (such as MS Word) which may have taken exclusive rights to reading the file, this error will also occur.

[Note that the initial bug mentioned in the earlier post in 2005 have been fixed since Version 4.2.1007.]
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I had the file saved to my desktop.

I finally got it to work by putting the log file in the report output folder. That's the only way it will work--if the input and output are in the same folder. That's weird, since I thought you were saying to do the exact opposite. This should probably be explained somewhere in the documentation/help guide, no?

Thanks for responding.

Comment

No, I suspect your problem is really due to one of the abovementioned things in my previous post, and that it just so happens that your current selection of the input/output folder works for you. For example, the copy of the file on your desktop may have been held opened by another application at the time, or you may have an invalid output folder, etc. Then when you changed them to the same folder, they were both valid, and it worked.

To clarify further, prior to Version 4.2.1007, you were required to have the input log file in a different folder than the report output folder (specified by clicking on "Options" in the "Search Statistics" window).

Since Version 4.2.1007 however, this was changed so that you could use the log file from the report output folder also. However, it still works when you specify an input log file from a different folder - in which case, it will make a copy of the file to your report output folder first, before generating the report (as it always used to).

Hope that clear things up.
                    --Ray
                    Wrensoft Web Software
                    Sydney, Australia
                    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                    X