Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic indexing, cgi and wikipedia

I am just about to purchase your software and have several questions:

1. I need the search engine to automatically scan our site daily and automatically ftp the files. I know you have a scheduler, but the computer needs to be on and your ftp client doesn't seem to function with our proxy server firewall. Is the CGI version better suited for us. We can run our own CGIs.

2. We have wikipedia on our website. I assume this is also searchable, as long as we specific the correct domain www.mysite.com/wiki/index.php

Thanks for your response.

Your software is GREAT. Just what I was looking for.

David Hart

1. You can schedule the Indexer to wake up the computer to perform the indexing and FTP upload. This way, your computer would not need to be on all the time. From the Scheduler window, click "Add Task" and make sure "Wake computer to start task" is checked.

The FTP client should work behind any proxy server or firewall. Have you tried uploading using the "PASV mode" option and without? You can also specify a different port if necessary.

The CGI version is only a search page function, and does not perform indexing. Indexing must be performed by the ZoomIndexer application. So selecting the use of CGI would not affect whether or not you need to upload the files. However, if you are using a Windows server, and you have full execution permission (eg. it is a dedicated server that you run yourself), then you could consider running the Indexer directly on the server itself. This would avoid the need for a FTP upload.

2.) There is no problem indexing a Wiki-based website. Although you would most likely need to add some extra configuration to skip pages for editing the website, etc. that is not necessary for the content.

The following FAQ link discusses configuring Zoom for complex dynamic scripts such as message boards and forums, but alot of the same issues applies to indexing a wiki-based site:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...html#msgboards

And if you want to see a working example, this is a search page we've setup where we indexed a portion of wikipedia.org:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/cgi-bin/wikipedia/search.cgi
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply. The PASV mode makes no difference in getting your ftp client to work.

I think the issue is our settings. Can you please double check what we are doing wrong. We use WS-FTP for other applications and it works fine with the firewall. WS-FTP settings are as follows:

Hostname: www.mysite.com
      Username: 123456
      Password: password

Under the WS-FTP firewall settings we use:

Hostname: 192.168.0.1
      Port: 2121

Under Zoom, I have the following ftp settings:

ftp server: ftp.192.168.0.1
      port: 2121

Username: 123456
      Password: password

I have not figured out where I need to enter "www.mysite.com"

Any ideas?

David Hart

Comment

Nevermind. I got it figured out. Will buy the software today!

David Hart

Comment

Working...
        X