not enough memory error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not enough memory error

I´m trying to index our search report on CD-Rom (Java sript version of search). Indexing goes fine but when I try to open search.html I get the error not enough memory. Furthermore there is no search button. If I confirm this message I get the next one:
    STR_FORM_SUBMIT_BUTTON is not defined

I can´t explain. I habe enough memory in my workstation (512 MB) The amount of files scanned is about 5000 and not more than 100000 unique words. I´m using version 4.2 Prof

What´s wrong?

Javascript is technically restricted due to the fact that it is a client-side scripting language, and designed to run entirely within a browser. Most browsers, such as Internet Explorer, limit the amount of memory which can be used by any single Javascript to something around 6 MB. This is very restrictive for something like a search engine, where you need to process a large amount of data. You have most likely hit this limit with the content you are indexing.

You can consider the use of skip words and skip pages to omit unnecessary information from the index (and decrease the amount of memory required), or you can consider splitting your site into logical sections and having multiple search indices for each (eg. "Search News", "Search Archives"). There are also alternatives to Javascript which offer more powerful search features to CD/DVD users described here:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...wto.html#cgicd
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X