Error Access violation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error Access violation

I keep getting this error at somepoint in my indexing of a localhost website that is about 25,000 pages:

"Error: access violation at 0X0044DDCC (tried to read from 0X000000000) Program terminated."

I am using Abyss Web Server on windows xp. I tired using the CGi format and the PHP format with the same results.

One thing that seems strange is that in the log directory of the web server, it bloats the cgi.log file to over 1.5 GB!!!! Is that why there is a 'tried to read from' error?

We have never done any testing with the Abyss Web Server, but there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

Becuase you are indexing from your local host the access violation might have come from any program. Are you sure it was Zoom that crashed. It could have been the web server.

What version of Zoom are you using? Version 4.2.1004 is the current release.

The cgi.log file is not a file that is created or used by Zoom. I am guessing your web server creates this file and appends to it each time the web server runs a CGI script. Sound very big, but it should not affect how Zoom works.

If you have the latest version of Zoom and it really is Zoom that crashes, then can you create a indexer log file, see
    http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/viewto...ighlight=debug
    and post the last few lines of the log.
    (maybe even zip it up and E-mail it to us)

------
    David

Comment

Thnaks

Thanks for the reply...

I disabled the logging from abyss web server, just in case.

I tried making a test version of the cgi search. everything seems to process without issues, but when I go to run the search.cgi - I get a page cannot be displayed error.

Abyss does not require a cgi-bin, so cgi files can be run from anywhere on the server.

i know I can run .cgi files because I just did a basic test with a cgi script and it worked fine.

Any ideas on what I can try? Am I executing it correctly?

Comment

It is definitely a Zoom generated error message...

Looking at the debug log, it looks like it stopped when it was trying to index a regular forum entry. I can cut and paste the url it was trying to index into IE and it opens without issue.

What else can I try?

Comment

First, we should confirm that you are using the latest build of Zoom (4.2.1004) available from here:
          http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html

You can check the version you are currently using by clicking on Help->About.

If you are using the latest version, and you are getting a crash error message whilst indexing, take a screenshot, and email this to us along with your ZCFG file. A debug log may also be of help:
          http://wrensoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=346

Our email address can be found on the Support page of our website.

I tried making a test version of the cgi search. everything seems to process without issues, but when I go to run the search.cgi - I get a page cannot be displayed error.
          There is usually more information available here. Go to IE and click "Tools"->"Options"->"Advanced" and uncheck "Show friendly HTTP error messages". There should be an additional error code or error message displayed which may give further clue as to what the problem is.

i know I can run .cgi files because I just did a basic test with a cgi script and it worked fine.
          You should note that "search.cgi" is NOT a Perl file. There is a common misconception that CGI is the same as Perl. This is not true. The search.cgi file that is generated by Zoom is a binary, compiled executable. This means that although you may have confirmed that your web server is configured to run a Perl script, it may not necessarily be configured to run a CGI executable. It might be worth consulting the Abyss Web Server documentation on this.

You might also want to try to get the PHP version to work first. PHP should be much easier to get working and if you can have other basic PHP scripts running on your server, the Zoom PHP script should have no trouble. Can you confirm if you are getting the same error with PHP or something else?
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I am using the latest version
            The test script was a .cgi file - not .pl

this is the error that gets generated from my logs:

Unrecognized character \x90 at search.cgi line 1.
            CGI: [C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe search.cgi ] URI: /search/search.cgi Broken pipe

does that indicate anything?

Comment

Also, the php search works great and I would prefer to use the php version, but I plan to index ~ 200,000 forum entries and it looks like I can only do 65,000 entries if I understand the limits correctly.

Comment

The test script was a .cgi file - not .pl

this is the error that gets generated from my logs:

Unrecognized character \x90 at search.cgi line 1.
                CGI: [C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe search.cgi ] URI: /search/search.cgi Broken pipe

does that indicate anything?
                Yes, it indicates that your server is handling all CGI files as Perl scripts, and that it is not configured to run a binary CGI executable. More details on this error here:
                http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support....html#cgi_perl

Your test script was most likely a Perl file. The fact that it has a ".cgi" filename extension as opposed to a ".pl" extension does not change this.
                A binary CGI is a compiled executable, essentially the same as an ".exe" file. A recent explanation can be found here:
                http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2242#2242

As with the poster in the previous thread, you might also want to make sure that your files are uploaded in binary mode (if you are using a third party FTP application). This could be confusing your web server with how it should be handling the CGI file.

Also refer to the checklist here:
                http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/faq_cgi.html

If that does not help, then consult the Abyss Web Server people as to how to enable support for executing binary CGIs with their web server. We were unable to find this in their documentation when we looked briefly.
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Also, here is a FAQ that provides some tips on indexing message boards, forums, and the like:
                  http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...html#msgboards
                  --Ray
                  Wrensoft Web Software
                  Sydney, Australia
                  Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks Ray.

I was in touch with Abyss and they showed my how to configure the web server to run the executable .cgi.

I was trying to use Perl rather than run it directly from the server. It is working fine

Thanks for the other useful links, I will review these later today. Zoom seems like a perfect fit for what I need!

Comment

Working...
                    X