Clear All

• how to merge indexes

Hi,

I have the following structure:

productA\1.0
    productA\1.0

productB\2.0

productC\1.5

I need to have a separate search page per version as each product and version can be installed on its own.

However, I also need to ber able to have a general search that can search across all products and versions.

How do I do this? I am using the offline Javascript.

Hope you can help,

Carla

Sounds like you need to use the categories feature. You can then have a single set of index files but restrict the search to a subset of the index.

You can find details of the categories feature in the users guide,
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/usersguide.html

------
    David

Comment

Yes, but I would like separate sets of index files, not a single one. Is this possible? I'm trying to link to multiple .js files within the subdirectories. Is this supported?

Comment

No, you can not merge multiple sets of index files into one single search.

You can however, create a search page containing multiple search boxes - one for each set of index files. But this will not allow you to search across the entire set of data (for "all products and versions", in your scenario).

If you are doing this with the aim of bypassing the technical memory limitations of Javascript, then we should note that this would not work. This is because even if it was capable of using multiple sets of index files, the Javascript version still requires all data to be loaded into memory, so it will end up using the same amount of memory.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Is it possible to specify more than one set of index files in which to search?

Hi,

I was wondering, can one search script call multiple index files, in different directories?

I want to do this because I have several components that have all their own separate indexes. Then, these components can be installed together (but in different combinations) so I would like to be able to search across more than one index file -- basically, in the All category of all component index files to give me comprehensive search across components. Is there a way to do this?

Carla

Comment

No, we don't support the search of multiple sets of index files in a single search.

But,

1) We have a new product coming (called MasterNode) that will aggregate results from different search functions. But it is not really aimed at solving the problem you have.

2) As with the initial post from Anonymous, you might be able to solve your problem using the categories feature. You could create one large index and just search a sub-set of of it. You can even dymanically select the sub-set to search via check boxes or scripting. In V5 this will be easier as there has been a number of improvements to the categories feature.

Comment

Working...
            X