Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop-Up menus freeze with Highlighting turned on

Hello,

I'm currently testing Zoom version 4.2 using the Dreamweaver Extension. I really like the software and I am almost ready to suggest purchasing it, to my client, but I have the same problem that some other users have had. The "Jump to Match and Highlight" feature freezes up the main navigation pop-up menus on my website.

In other words, if I browse to my Search page, type in a search term, and click on one of the links that Zoom provides in the search results, a new browser window opens and Zoom jumps to the search term and highlights it just as it should. The trouble starts when I scroll up to the navigation bar at the top of that same page and try clicking on one of the navigation buttons. When I click on them the pop-up menu expands like it should, but all the links are dead and the expanded menu is frozen in place. It won't collapse when I mouse out of it or click on anything else. In fact, if I click on all the rest of the main navigation bar buttons, the pop-up menus expand and freeze in place too.
    I have created a very simplistic website strictly for the purpose of troubleshooting and demonstration. If you would like to see the behavior that I have described, please follow these instructions:
    • * Browse to http://www.burchaviation.com/macromedia/index.htm
      * Click on the word "Search" below the blue navigation bar
      * On the search page, type in the word "truck" and obviously, click on the "Submit" button
      * Two links to the Home page will appear in the search results
      * Please click on the first link
      * A new window will appear and you will find yourself at the bottom of the Home page with the word "truck" highlighted in yellow
      * Click on the "Top of Page" link and start clicking on any of the navigation bar lnks except the "Home" button and you will see the problem

I generated the navigation bar with Macromedia FireworksMX 2004 and inserted the nav. bar into the page using DreamweaverMX 2004. Please let me know if there is any other technical information that you need about this.

After reading several other discussion threads related to this problem and the Support section of Wrensoft.com that deals with "Jump To and Match Highlighting", I know that I need to find the solution to this on my own. However, if someone has already been through this and resolved it, please let me know what you did. Thank you in advance. I'm not very good with JavaScript right now, but I think I will be by the time I get this straightened out. Thanks again in advance.

Sincerely,

Phil
    Phil

It sounds like you may have seen this thread already, but just in case:
    http://wrensoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=452

As previously discussed, it really depends on the menu javascript and how that works. It is quite possible that the highlighting script may conflict with other javascripts on a page, and vice versa (as is the nature of all javascripts).
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Pop-Up menus freeze with Highlighting turned on

Hi Raymond,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I did see the thread you referenced. Right now, I'm trying the isolate the specific JavaScript that is conflicting with the Zoom JavaScript.

If anyone else has any ideas, I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Phil
      Phil

Comment

Pop-Up menus freeze with Highlighting turned on

Does anyone know if my problem would be resolved by purchasing either the Standard or Professional version of Zoom?

I'm assuming that the core code is the same between the Free, Standard, and Professional versions, but I thought that there may be a chance that the different versions might handle certain features differently.

P.S.
        At this point, the link to the example of my problem may or may not work according to the instructions I gave in this thread due to the fact that I am actively using that site to resolve this issue and I am trying different things.
        Phil

Comment

In terms of the highlighting feature there is no difference between the free, std & pro versions.

This page contains a full list of differences.
          http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/editions.html

-------
          David

Comment

That is what I figured, but I needed to confirm it. Thanks.

Phil
            Phil

Comment

I think I might have found the problem... both your menu and the zoom highlight script use "i" as a variable. (Please bear in mind that my javascript experience is very limited...)

On line 101 of your index.htm file, the variable "i" is declared for your menu system:

Code:
                  var i,img,nbArr,args=MM_nbGroup.arguments;
              On line 54 of the highlight.js file, "i" is also used to compare the length of the query string:

Code:
                  for &#40;var i=0;i<QueryString.keys.length;i++&#41;
              The first thing that Zoom does with "i" is set the value to zero before working with it. Perhaps doing the same thing with the menu, right after line 101, might solve the problem? It might be a quick fix, but it might also cause other problems, I'm not sure.

Otherwise, if you have two systems that both use the same variable name, you may want to try changing the name of the variable for one of them. It won't be quick, but I think it'd be worth it in the end.

- JW

p.s. - I didn't go through the other .js files referenced by the menu system... and I don't even know if variables in an external .js file can conflict with a variable inside a web page header.

Comment

Hi JW,

Thank you for taking the time to look at the files. I took your suggestion and replaced all the "i's" in highlight.js with "zz". The original problem still persisted. Thank you for the idea. At least we eliminated one possibility.

Phil
                Phil

Comment

What I have discovered so far

Hello,

I believe I figured out where Macromedia's pop-up menu JavaScript is deviating from its normal execution path, when I activate the "Jump to Match and Highlight" feature. There are two places that generate errors. The first place that errors out is just after the pop-up menu is displayed. This is the error message:

TypeError: l.Menu has no properties

The line of code that I am talking about is the following:

Code:
                  l.Menu.xOffset = document.body.scrollLeft;
                  The second place that errors out happens after I move the mouse in the code debugger and while the pop-up menu is still displayed. I’m guessing that the Macromedia JavaScript is trying to run the routines to close out the pop-up menu, but cannot finish because of the error. This is the error message:

window.ActiveMenu.Menu has no properties

The line of code I am talking about is the following:

Code:
                  mmHideMenuTimer = setTimeout("mmDoHide()", window.ActiveMenu.Menu.hideTimeout);
                  Following is the full code listing for the Macromedia JavaScript file that plays a large part in generating the pop-up menus. There is some other JavaScript code involved in the process that is not listed here, but I don’t think that it is causing the error messages. I would like to know why the Macromedia code runs fine when the “Jump to Match and Highlight” JavaScript is disabled and why it doesn’t when the “Jump to Match and Highlight” JavaScript is enabled.

I am using Venkman's Debugger and Netscape to debug this code, but the JavaScript has to be able to run in Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher.

I have also verified that none of the variables in the Highlight.js file are conflicting with any variables in the mm_menu.js file.

I have also purchased PopMenu Magic from Project Seven Development. I was going to use it in place of the pop-up menus generated by Macromedia FireworksMX 2004 and DreamweaverMX 2004, but I cannot get the PopMenu Magic menus to look exactly like the menus that I have already committed to with my client.

I can tell you that PopMenu Magic pop-up menus are compatible with the "Jump to Match and Highlight" feature of Zoom Search Engine.

Obviously, I am still working on this. If you are contemplating the idea of using Macromedia’s pop-menus with any other JavaScript code, you better test it thoroughly before you commit to it. If you have any ideas to try, please let me know.

Thanks,

Phil

Full Code Listing for mm_menu.js

Code:
                  /
                   * mm_menu 20MAR2002 Version 6.0
                   * Andy Finnell, March 2002
                   * Copyright (c) 2000-2002 Macromedia, Inc.
                   * based on menu.js
                   * by gary smith, July 1997
                   * Copyright (c) 1997-1999 Netscape Communications Corp.
                   * Netscape grants you a royalty free license to use or modify this
                   * software provided that this copyright notice appears on all copies.
                   * This software is provided "AS IS," without a warranty of any kind.
                   */
                  function Menu(label, mw, mh, fnt, fs, fclr, fhclr, bg, bgh, halgn, valgn, pad, space, to, sx, sy, srel, opq, vert, idt, aw, ah) 
                  {

massive amount of code removed by admin.

} else if (img.y >= 0) y += img.y;
                      return y;
                  }
                  Phil

Comment

Working...
                  X