Search Wild Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search Wild Card

At my site http://www.slutsk.org/search/search.html if I type in Z*, should it not find every entry that starts with a Z.

I am looking for the name ZIEDES. If I type in Z* it finds lots of Z words but not that one. If I type in Zi* it will find it.

I have read the wild card material but what might be causing this to happen.

Carlton Brooks
    Carlton Brooks
    Mesa, Arizona

Yes, "Z*" will find every page containing words that begin with "Z".

The results on your search page appear to be correct. I think you may have misinterpreted the results.

First of all, note that the context description returns up to 3 "extracts" of the page content where the matched words were found. When you search for "Zi*", this did make "ZIEDES" appear, along with "ZIMIL", and "ZISHEH". However, these were not ALL the matches on that page, only the first 3. Seeing that it has a score of 618 also indicates that it must have found more than 3 words. In fact, other matched words were found on the page like "Zilenbrad". The context description can only show a small preview of what was found on the page.

Now, when you search for "Z*", note that the second result returned is the same page found before (5681.htm) where "ZIEDES" appeared. However, because we've now matched more words (anything beginning with "Z" rather than anything beginning with "Zi"), the context description is different. Also note that the score is alot higher because more words were found. Again, it would appear that Zoom successfully found the word "ziedes" on that page, but it just never showed it in the context description because it was not the first 3 words beginning with "z"on that page.

Hope that clarifies things a little for you.

PS. We noticed a configuration error on your search page, reporting that some of your ZDAT files are out of date. If you are uploading the index files yourself (and not using Zoom's upload feature), then you may have omitted some files from your last indexing session, causing a mix of old and new files on the server. This can cause other unexpected problems, though we have not noticed any besides the error message. Just a note.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks, that explains alot.

Also I will check the outadted files.

Carlton Brooks
      Carlton Brooks
      Mesa, Arizona

Comment

Working...