Dumd questions but necessary...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumd questions but necessary...

I did the first index in php. Now, I am changing my mind. I am a bit more comfortable with cgi. How can I restart the entire process with cgi without erasing the first index. Also is there an automatic file removal, I can't seem to locate it.
    Thanks;
    momora
    inquiring mind?

You can copy the files created by Zoom (search.php, settings.php and all the .zdat files) to another folder if you want to backup the previous index. Note that all the files created are listed at the end of indexing (as "Required files"). They are also listed and explained in greater detail in the Users Guide:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/usersguide.html

I'm not sure what you mean by "automatic file removal". What files are you expecting to remove? The index files in the output directory are automatically overwritten when you re-index.

FYI, you should also note that CGI is not Perl, as was recently discussed here. I'm not sure why you would be "more comfortable" with CGI than PHP but it is usually easier to setup the PHP version because the CGI version requires additional file permissions and sometimes needs to be placed in specific folders etc. The advantage that the CGI version has is in search speed/performance, and that it can handle larger sites.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Another question after I read the manual

My initial cgi vs php is solved.

cgi is ok for me, because I can set the permission with Filezilla and store the files in one folder.

One more question: Is it also necessaryand preferable to use 1 folder in the local site.

I must congratulate you on a spectacular user manual and extremely well written and precise set of instructions. The people in Redwood should take a page from you.

I was trying to do the first set on intuition, and even that was 90% satisfactory because when the results came up, I knew what would ensue and that reading the manula and the forum needed to be the first step.

Thanks;
      momora
      momora
      inquiring mind?

Comment

Is it also necessaryand preferable to use 1 folder in the local site
        I am not sure what you are referring to. The CGI runs on the server so what you have on your local machine isn't that important. Or maybe you are referring to some other folder??

I think it would be common practice to have a exact copy of your site locally.

-----
        David

Comment

Working...
        X