PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the html pages and graphics for the log files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the html pages and graphics for the log files?

Hello
    I am having trouble with my log files.

File not found: The file is where it should be and when I click on it using my ftp software I can open it in Notepad and see that it is logging the searches. However, two problems. When I type the url in the browser window get file not find, although I know the file is there. Reading earlier posts on this matter, in particular your support page, I was able to check all items listed except for the very last issue about MIMEtype, I don't run the server so I'm not sure if that is an issue however I will check that out. If you can think of anything else please let me know.

I don't seem to be able to generate the statistics reports. I keep getting an error that : Unable to download file, check address is correct - when I try using the online method. I have triple checked that I have the correct url. I also tried just using a local file but that didn't work either.
    Regards

From what you are saying, you should be able to, at the very least, download the file with FTP and generate the statistics reports by opening the downloaded log file on your computer. When you say it didn't work, what error messages did you get?

Regarding the MIME type issue, this should only apply if your web server is running IIS 6.0 on Windows Server 2003.

If you are using the CGI version on an Apache server, there is also a different possibility. All of this is documented here (which I assume you have seen):
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/logging.html
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

It's a Windows server.

When I try using the online file I get the error I mentioned earlier ie: Unable to download file, check address is correct.

When I try using a copy of the file I downloaded to my PC I get this error message:
      Unable to open file, check that file exists and that read permissions are set.

Comment

Click on "Tools"->"Search statistics report"->"Options".

Make sure that the folder specified here exists. This is where Zoom will save your report files.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Yep, I had checked that. The default is the one I used in that option: zoom/statistics/ and it seems to have created a file searchwords.log but that's not the html pages with images etc?

Comment

Can you tell us the full path which is specified? eg. "C:\Program Files\Zoom Search Engine 4.1\statistics\"

Make sure that this folder exists, and that the currently logged in user running Zoom actually has access to read and write to this folder.

You should also make sure that the log file (searchwords.log) is not being held opened by another application, for example, if you are currently viewing "searchwords.log" in MS Word, then this would be held opened and Zoom would be unable to access the file. Similarly, with other applications such as FTP clients etc.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

The full path as copied from the Options text box (for where the file is to be saved) is:
              C:\Program Files\Zoom Search Engine 4.1\statistics

The full path for the searchwords file that I downloaded from the server and the path I entered in the first box on the statistics panel is:
              C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\marion\websites\Education Forum\zoom\logs\searchwords.log

The full path for the file that is online is:
              http://www.educationforum.org.nz/zoo...earchwords.log

The full path for the trial search engine on the site is (not the top box, that's the current search engine - its the search box in the centre panel - :
              http://www.educationforum.org.nz/zoo...h_advanced.asp

I am the only user/owner on my PC.
              Regards

Comment

I think the first problem (with the log file being inaccessible via HTTP on your website) is most likely the MIME type issue mentioned above. You can try renaming the file via FTP to "searchwords.txt" and see if this make any difference to confirm this.

The second problem with not being able to access the local copy of the log file - this is most likely an issue with another application holding the "searchwords.log" file opened. You being the only user on the PC does not mean this can not happen. The FTP program you used to download the file for example, could keep this file opened, similarly, if you have opened the file in an editor such as Notepad or Word. To confirm this, you can also try opening the downloaded file with another application and see if they can access it. Also try making a copy of the file, and see if Zoom can open that.

If you continue to have problems, perhaps you can e-mail us a copy of your log file, and we can check if it is corrupted.
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Okay, re your first suggestion. I changed the extension to .txt ie searchwords.txt and I was able to open the file in the browser window so I will get onto the host company about the MIME type thingee.

About your second suggestion, I was able to open the log file in my local website folder, and I was also able to open the log file in the zoom programme folder so I guess there's nothing tying them up?

If it's okay with you I will email them to you. Which address should I send it to?
                  Regards

Comment

You can send the file to us using the support email address shown here:
                    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/
                    --Ray
                    Wrensoft Web Software
                    Sydney, Australia
                    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                    X