Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cannot create search template and cannot index pdf files

Hi
    I have successfully trialed the free version and have just now bought the professional version. Unfortunately when I try indexing I get two error messages. One says that it is unable to create the search template. There is no search.asp, search_template or any other pages starting with search in the indexing files. Also, when I click the index button I get an error message telling me that .pdf files are not supported. I have downloaded and installed the pdf plug in and restarted zoom several times but still the pdf files are not being index.
    Regards

Couple of things to check:

- Have you entered your license key information correctly (which should have been e-mailed out to you) and does Zoom now say "Professional Edition" in the title bar?

- Did you change the setting under the "Advanced" tab of the Configuration window to "specify own path for the script source code"? If so, is this pointing to a valid directory containing a copy of the script? This setting should be unchecked and off by default.

- Did you attempt to move the program files from their installed folder? It sounds like the application is unable to locate the other files that came with the installation.

- Check that your output directory corresponds to where you are looking for the files. Do you see the ZDAT files that should also be created after indexing?

- If the PDF plugin was correctly installed, and Zoom is properly registered, you should see a yellow log entry that says "Plugin for PDF files found. PDF file support enabled." upon starting up Zoom.

Also: Tell us the version of Windows you are using, as well as the version of Zoom (click Help->About). Note that the latest version is available from:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Re no search page: I have managed to fix the problem with regard to the search pages. I had downloaded a 2nd version of Zoom instead of registering the initial trial one. Once I deleted the 2nd shortcut everything started working fine.

Re PDFs: I now see the message with regard to the pdf plug supported but when I index it there are no pdf files indexed? Will have a bit more of a look in the forum and faqs to see if I can find an answer.
      Regards

Comment

Make sure you added ".pdf" to the Extensions list under the "Scan Options" tab of the Configuration window. See "Using the plugins" here:
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/plugins.html

If you are indexing with spider mode, you should also make sure that the spider is finding the links to your PDF pages. See the following FAQs:

"Why are some of my pages being skipped in the indexer?":
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...s.html#skipped

"I am indexing my website with the spider mode but it is not finding all of the pages on my site":
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support...spider_finding
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Problem fixed!

Thank you for that explanation. From your responses I realise that my problem was with the fact that I was using Open New Window on my document links with the database, which as you said will not be indexed by the spider. As soon as I took the Open New Window off the link it worked perfectly and is now scanning all my pdf files.
          Thank you very much for your help.
          Regards

Comment

For other people reading this, the "open new window" function being refered to was in fact a piece of Javascript code that poped up a new window. Javascript links are not followed in most cases.

But you can open links in new windows without using Javascript. You can just use the HTML target attribute _blank in your links. Then spiders can follow your links.

-----
            David

Comment

Working...
            X