Java and highlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java and highlight

On my home computer when I do a search the search word is highlighted in yellow. If I go to the document, it jumps to the correct entry. All is great.

Now on my work computer when I do the search the word is also in yellow but when I go to the document it does not highlight the word or jump to the word.

From reading the messages in the forum, my work computer/browser is probably not Java enabled, might this be a correct assumption?

What can I do to let others know that if they do not see the text to java enable their computer/browser. Is there a possible error message, etc.

Many of my users would not know that they should jump to or see the text highlighted if they were not told.

Any thoughts.

Thanks for a great program and the help.

Carlton Brooks
    Carlton Brooks
    Mesa, Arizona

Yes, it is possible that your work browser does not have Javascript enabled. Another possibility is that you may simply be using a different browser (or version) which is not compatible with the highlighting script. Can you tell us the version of browser you are using at work (where it fails to work)?

Quick note: Javascript is not Java. They are very different platforms, and settings for one will not correspond to another. So even if you have checked that Java is enabled on your computer, you may still have Javascript disabled and restricted. Some browser security settings for example, may block Javascript.

You can add a bit of HTML which will appear on the webpage when Javascript is disabled. eg.

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="highlight.js"></script>
    <noscript>
    Javascript is disabled on your browser. Please enable Javascript to see this page at its optimal setting and enable features such as keyword highlighting.
    </noscript>
    More information on the noscript tag here:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/inte....html#h-18.3.1
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Would you mind explaining further.

At home I use Firefox, at work I have IE, I also have IE at home as a secondary test set-up.

What specific settings am I looking for in IE to allow scripts to work. My home IE also does not show the high lighted text but my home Firefox does.

Can you point me to the settings.

Also where would I add the lines that you provided. In each page or just on the search page.

Thanks
      Carlton Brooks
      Carlton Brooks
      Mesa, Arizona

Comment

You didn't tell us which version of IE you are using - 5.5? 6.0? Older versions may also have compatibility issues with the highlighting script.

To enable Javascript in IE 5.5 or 6.0, click on Tools->Internet Options->Security->Custom Level. Locate the "Scripting" section of the settings, and under "Active scripting", select "Enable". Click OK to applly your changes. You will most likely have to exit all your IE windows and relaunch the browser for it to take effect.

The noscript HTML mentioned above is to be added to each page which links to the "highlight.js" script - NOT the search page. Note that the first line of my code is actually the line that links the highlight.js script - as described in the instructions for adding "Jump to highlighting" here.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X