Zoom Search on CD Freezes on search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom Search on CD Freezes on search

I seem to do everything right and it indexes fine, but when I select the file search.html (on a standalone CD) it only gives me part of the search dialog box and never produces any results. Here's what I get:

Search this Site

Enter on or more keywords to search for using the Zoom Search Engine.
    Note that '*' and '?' wildcards are supported.

[ box ]

"that's all that appears, even though I selected Advanced search form". What's odd is that on the demo veresion it seemd to work fine, but when I bought the PRO version it started acting strange. I have reinstalled the software twice. I am using the javascript version.

Any help would be appreciated......

Thanks,

tony

First, check that you are using the latest version available:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html

Next, make sure you have Javascript enabled on your browser and that you do not have certain security features/software which may be blocking Javascript.

If you continue to have problems, zip up your search files (search.html, and all the .js files created by Zoom) and e-mail them to us:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
      First, check that you are using the latest version available:
      http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html

Next, make sure you have Javascript enabled on your browser and that you do not have certain security features/software which may be blocking Javascript.

If you continue to have problems, zip up your search files (search.html, and all the .js files created by Zoom) and e-mail them to us:
      http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/
      Yes, I am using ver 4.1 (build 1003). I have javscript enabled and have disabled all security features. I'll zip up the files and send them to you. Thanks.

Comment

We looked at the files you sent and we saw a similar error to what your reported above.

We believe the problem is due to the fact that you have forgetten to put all the files on the CD.

The file zoom_index.js seems to be missing (and this is a really important file becuase it contains the main part of the word index in Javascript).

------
        David

Comment

Originally posted by Wrensoft
          We looked at the files you sent and we saw a similar error to what your reported above.

We believe the problem is due to the fact that you have forgetten to put all the files on the CD.

The file zoom_index.js seems to be missing (and this is a really important file becuase it contains the main part of the word index in Javascript).

------
          David
          David, the index file was 22mb in size (7 mb zipped) and was refused by your mail server, so I deleted it from the zip file. Is there a limit to the size of the index file that Zoom can run on a CD?

Thanks,

Tony

Comment

Javascript runs in the browser. The size limit of Javascript files depends on the browser and browser version you are using.

Internet Explorer typically allows about 10MB of RAM to be allocated by JavaScript. So this might be your problem.

For other more powerful CD search options see this link.

Also, for the future, if you send us your search files, please tell us the full story so that we don't waste our time wondering why half the files are missing. It will save you time as well.

-------
            David

Comment

To encourage you to follow the advice of dropping the Javascript version with its many restrictions - we switched to a combination of Microweb CD and PHP Zoom Search at the start of this year and haven't looked back since.

Its far faster than Javascript and heaps more flexible. The user perception is a search through 500MB of HTML pages (I've never counted how many thousands) in just seconds.

[I was in seventh heaven when the whole lot ported to a real webserver with no adjustment. We now maintain the website as our daily indexed documentation library and take occasional copies of it all when a new CD version is required].
              Mark Gallagher

Comment

Originally posted by sizbut
                To encourage you to follow the advice of dropping the Javascript version with its many restrictions - we switched to a combination of Microweb CD and PHP Zoom Search at the start of this year and haven't looked back since.

Its far faster than Javascript and heaps more flexible. The user perception is a search through 500MB of HTML pages (I've never counted how many thousands) in just seconds.

[I was in seventh heaven when the whole lot ported to a real webserver with no adjustment. We now maintain the website as our daily indexed documentation library and take occasional copies of it all when a new CD version is required].
                Thanks for the advice...does this "combination" take a lot of skill to get to work? I am good at following instructions.

Tony

Comment

The main downsides of the Microweb CD server solution are,
                  1/ The cost.
                  2/ It is a windows only solution (i.e. all the functionality of the CD will not work on a Mac).

Otherwise is can be a good solution.

Comment

Working...
                  X