Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Categories: different folders & file extensions

Hi,
    We are in the process of fine tuning our search page. Here is the situation at the moment:
    - we are indexing a lot of files located on server by using offline mode
    - My "Start Directory" is T:\758-Information Services Section\Shared Data\Documentation\CSD
    - My "Base URL" is T:\758-Information Services Section\Shared Data\Documentation\CSD
    - Within the CSD folder, there are 5 subfolders containing different file types: aa, bb, cc, dd, and ee

Ideally I would like categories to filter results:
    1. pdf & word in aa folder. What pattern must I use (pattern:ee;.doc;.pdf)?
    2. everything in cc folder. What pattern must I use (pattern: aa)?
    3. Can I have a category for all ppt, txt and xls documents found on the server in T:\758-Information Services Section\Shared Data\Reporting\ although my start directory was T:\758-Information Services Section\Shared Data\Documentation\CSD. What will the pattern be in that case?

Thank you in advance for your advice and help.
    Kind regards,
    Bilal

Re: Categories: different folders & file extensions

Originally posted by bjeewa
    1. pdf & word in aa folder. What pattern must I use (pattern:ee;.doc;.pdf)?
    You can either categorize all files in the "aa" folder with a pattern of "/aa/"
    OR
    You can categorize all PDF and DOC files with a pattern of ".pdf;.doc"

A pattern of "/aa/;.pdf;.doc" will group ALL files in a folder named "aa", and all files containing the extensions ".pdf" or ".doc".

Do you have PDF and DOC files in your other folders? (you said your 5 subfolders contain different file types). If not, then the latter should not be a problem.

2. everything in cc folder. What pattern must I use (pattern: aa)?
    You should use a pattern of "/cc/".

3. Can I have a category for all ppt, txt and xls documents found on the server in T:\758-Information Services Section\Shared Data\Reporting\ although my start directory was T:\758-Information Services Section\Shared Data\Documentation\CSD. What will the pattern be in that case?
    You will need to set an additional start directory by clicking on "More" in the Indexer window. You can then create a category with a pattern that would distinguish files from that folder - this depends on the base URL you specify and the filenames in question. If you do not have PPT, TXT and XLS files in your other folders for example, you can just have a category with a pattern of ".ppt;.xls;.txt" to categorise all powerpoint, excel and text files.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thank you

The original question was well written and the answer was also well written and helpful. Thank you so much; the answer was greatly needed.

Comment

Working...
      X