return certain pages 1st for specific searches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• return certain pages 1st for specific searches

I'm using zoomboost metas, but not sure how to set results so that a particular page is always 1st result for a particular search word or phrase.

For ex, searching for "chiles" should always list the chiles category page first in results. Searching for "brazilian starfish chiles" should always bring up the brazilian starfish chile product page first. I don't want them to *always* be returned 1st for phrases containing chile - just for those particular searches.

IOW, I want to sometimes set specific pages to be returned for specific searches. Is that possible? If so, how?

thx

There are various ways you can boost the relevance of a page for certain searches.

First, you can try adding extra occurences of "chile" as meta keywords or ZOOMWORDS. This would increase the relevance score for that page when searching for the word "chile". See chapter 6.6 of the Users Guide for more information:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/usersguide.html

Second, you can change the weighting of different elements on the page from the Configuration window (under the "Indexing Options" tab). This would increase the relevance score when searching for words which appear in either the page title, description, heading, filename or meta keywords and zoomwords.

Third, you can alter the "Content density" from this same configuration window, which would automatically adjust the preference of pages depending on the size of documents. This can help if you find certain "big documents" (such as PDF files) are swamping your results and your smaller (but more important) files are buried further down.

Forth, you can also increase the importance of a specific page in general, by use of a ZOOMPAGEBOOST meta tag. You can also set a negative value to lower the importance of other pages. See chapter 2.3.5 of the Users Guide for more information.

Hope that helps.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks for the info.

So which one of these methods will force a single page to always be returned first for a specific search phrase?

From what I can tell, first does not. Second does not. Third does not. Forth is what I mentioned I've been using and it does not.

Again, I want to tell Zoom to specifically return /cookoff.htm (or whatever page I say, including seemingly non-related pg in Zoom's eyes) whenever "chile recipe" is the search phrase. I want to map one search phrase to one page in special instances.

Is this possible?

Comment

Adding the following HTML meta data

<meta name="ZOOMWORDS" content="chile recipe chile recipe chile recipe">

to the page cookoff.htm should do it.

-------
        David

Comment

Working...
        X