PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to fetch multiple occurrences of 06/28/05?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fetch multiple occurrences of 06/28/05?

I just installed Zoom and it's fantastic.

I have a FrontPage 2003 web that has about 700 names of deceased US Navy UDT-SEAL members. Each name has nine pieces of data.

My problem: I just entered 9 new names, all of whom died on 06/28/05. When I search 06/28/05 I get dozens of different records with yellow highlighted numbers such as 05, 06, or 28. What I want is just the 9 records. This happens even when I put quotes around "06/28/05."

Is there a way to have this particular search work?

Here's the URL to the Search page.

Thanks,

Kerry

Work around?

I know this isn't what you're looking for but maybe you could you change your records to use 06-28-05 instead of 06/28/05 until another solution is found.

Comment

Another workaround - modifiying the highlight.js file

In the highlight.js file do the following. This will only work if a user inputs a date format like this with the double quotes "/6/02/82". My workaround breaks the other highlights.

Maybe you could have two search pages, one where the user selects the date from a mm/dd/yy set of dropdowns. Then have it send the results to the search page (replace the search filed with the dropdown with the same field name so that the user has to use your date picker)

Then pass a param to the js file so that the correct code is selected.

replace

Code:
      // regular expression version
      function SearchHiLite(text)
      {
          var SearchAsSubstring = 0;
          var hl;
      with

Code:
      function SearchHiLite(text)
      {
          var SearchAsSubstring = 0;
          var hl;
      var stuff = QueryString("zoom_highlight");
      //alert (stuff);
      stuff = stuff.replace(/%2522/g, "");
      stuff = stuff.replace(/\+/g, "/");

Then replace this
      Code:
      text=text.replace&#40;re, '$1<span class="highlight" id="highlight" name="highlight">$2</span id="highlight">$3'&#41;;
      with this

[code]
      text=text.replace(stuff, '<span class="highlight" id="highlight" name="highlight">'+stuff+'</span id="highlight">');
      [code]

Comment

Hi broman,

Given that almost no one searches by Date of Death I like your idea of replacing / 's with - 's. I'd sure hate to mess things up. Is it a simple Find / Replace with - ? FrontPage gives a scary warning, "This cannot be undone."

I used 06/28/05 to test to see if I entered all nine correctly and that's how I found the results anomaly.

While I have your expertise—is there a way to have the results be easier to read? The name Anderson is a good example because there are 5 Andersons.

A search for "Anderson" brings up only two of them in the Records: A - B

1. Records: A - B
        ... Alvenus (son), Mrs. Counsil (mother) & 4 grandchildren Anderson A E unk CM1 unk circa WWII UDT-12 unk Anderson Eric Clifton Andy unk 07 ...
        the results begins with "..." My preference would be that it began with Anderson A E unk CM1 unk circa WWII UDT-12 unk and continue, listing all five Andersons so that one would not have to go to "Records: A - B"

I'm thinking I missed a configuration option.

One thing I can see that would make it easier to read is if I had added a period after unknown first and middle names where all I has was initials—such as Anderson A E Would the period show up and serve as a separator and look like this Anderson A. E.?

Thanks,

Kerry

Comment

Re: How to fetch multiple occurrences of 06/28/05?

Originally posted by Kerry
          When I search 06/28/05 I get dozens of different records with yellow highlighted numbers such as 05, 06, or 28. What I want is just the 9 records. This happens even when I put quotes around "06/28/05."
          The best way to do this, would be as broman said, reformat your dates as "06-28-05". This way they'd be treated as single words in the index. You might need to be more careful than just doing a global replace of "/" for "-"s, because you might have the "/" character used elsewhere on your page besides the dates.

What's happening at the moment is that the Indexer treats them as 3 seperate numbers. This is why your search yielded more results than expected, because it would return any page where these numbers are found, not necessarily in the same order, or in a date format (eg. a page containing the phrase "05 apples, 28 oranges, and 06 iguanas" would also match).

However, if you put double quotes around the query, "06/28/05", it should return only pages with those numbers in that sequence. In fact, I just tested this on your page and it seem to work. Note however, that highlighting does not work in this instance, because it is still realy just looking for "06 28 05", but its not returning any pages which does not contain this date.

My preference would be that it began with Anderson A E unk CM1 unk circa WWII UDT-12 unk and continue, listing all five Andersons so that one would not have to go to "Records: A - B"
          You can increase the size of the context description, which would show more of the following listings. Do this in the Configuration window, under the "Results Layout" tab, there's a value for "Context size". Try entering 50 or something here until you find something suitable.

One thing I can see that would make it easier to read is if I had added a period after unknown first and middle names where all I has was initials—such as Anderson A E Would the period show up and serve as a separator and look like this Anderson A. E.?
          Yes.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I understand. Thanks all,

Kerry

Comment

Ray, your

Do this in the Configuration window, under the "Results Layout" tab, there's a value for "Context size". Try entering 50 or something here until you find something suitable.
              suggestion worked fine.

Thanks,

Kerry

Comment

Working...
              X