Index meta-tags without showing them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Index meta-tags without showing them?

Is there a way to index meta-tags without them appearing on the search results page?

I'd rather the "Content Description" field of search results only contain text as seen in a browser, even if the only match for a search term is in the "invisible" meta-tags.

Even better if the method of hiding text from the "Content Description" field were page-based, not index-wide.

Any ideas?

Thanks for a great product!

Details...

Figured I'd follow up (I was the Guest above) with some details that might help.

I'm using version 4.1.1000 - Professional, spidering an ASP powered intranet.

Let me know if there's any other info needed.

Comment

There is currently no other way to prevent meta tag content (such as: descriptions, keywords, and zoomwords) from appearing in the search results besides excluding the text from being indexed. Once indexed, it is treated the same as page content, and there is no easy way that it can differentiate certain words by where it originally came from.

We should note that this only happens when you are searching for a word that does not appear anywhere in the actual page content, but only in the meta tags mentioned above. If the same word was found in the page content, then that would be shown instead.

You can disable indexing of certain meta tags if they do not contain useful information for an internal search. For example, if your meta description and meta keywords are aimed at external search engines such as Google, and talk about the site as a whole rather than the page itself, you can exclude them by clearing the checkboxes on the "Indexing Options" tab of the Configuration window. You can also do this on a per page basis by enclosing the text with and tags.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
      X