Version 4.1 released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Version 4.1 released

For those who missed the front page... yes, Version 4.1 is finally released. This includes many features that you've asked for, as well as a good number of bug fixes. Of particular interest are the new weighting options which allow you to configure more relevant search results for your website.

Read more about it here: http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

dynamic files also supported

I just tested version 4.1 and now it is able to search my dynamic links, hooray.

/download.dyn?fileid=abcd (this streams a pdf, xls, or doc to the user)

Unfortunately for me I also stream binary files (exe's and others) to the user using that same url format.

The problem is that it will index the exe file which takes up valueable indexing time since some of these files are quite large. This is also unneccessary for me since the user will not find anything of importance in the exe. I am back to using my ISAPI_REWRITE option for the moment, or add filtype=exe into the url like below and filter that string from the search.

/download.dyn?fileid=abcd&filetype=exe

But, kudos on getting the dynamic url indexing in this build.

Comment

Yes, if you have any way to identify URLs that would serve executables or other unsupported binary files, then you can prevent them from being indexed by using the skip pages list. As you mentioned, a "&filetype=exe" parameter would be suitable for this.

But you raise a good point, at the moment, when Zoom does not recognize a HTTP content-type (aka MIME type) given, it will go ahead and index the file based on the file extension. What we will do in the next build of Zoom, is to identify a list of MIME types that Zoom should not attempt to index. This would include "application/zip", "image/jpeg", etc. I presume that your download script will set an appropriate content-type for each file, in which case, this would automatically prevent them from being indexed.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Update: Version 4.0.1001 should now identify (and correctly ignore) files served with a content-type that is not supported. For example: "image/jpeg", "application/octet-stream ", ... etc.

Latest version available here:
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Awesome!!!

Now that's what I call support. That new build worked like a charm. Skipped my exe's from my dynamic links just like I wanted.

Thanks again for a great product. I just wish other companies provided the kind of support that you do.

Comment

Working...
          X