ranking php over pdfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ranking php over pdfs

Love the software, but I'm a little confused. I want to rank my php pages ahead of my pdf files, so I added the following to each php page:

<meta name="ZOOMPAGEBOOST" content="5">

But after reindexing, the pdfs are still on top. Undoubtedly there are more relevant terms in the pdfs because they are huge files, versus the php pages. Short of not indexing the pdfs, is there any way to do this?

You could do a negative ZOOMPAGEBOOST for the PDFs. You would need to create .desc files for them and include a line like:

<meta name="ZOOMPAGEBOOST" content="-5">

See ch 2.10.4 in our Users Guide for more information on .desc files:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/usersguide.html

In the upcoming Version 4.1, we have also added a new feature to automatically scale weighting based on the word density of a page. This means that a PDF or DOC file (which often contains many words, and is the reason why they show up as top results) would be automatically scaled down to a more comparable ranking. This would not require any additional page boost fiddling to get your PDF files ranked more fairly.

We are looking at a public release sometime next week for Version 4.1.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks for the help, we're very happy with the software and your companies outstanding support!

Comment

Working...
      X