• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations to wrensoft

Hi guys

In this topic there is no problem....

Its just a topic to congratulate and thank you for your services

You guys make a great search engine, and when there are problems you are on top of it directly
    In the forums your responses are very quick generally.....

Where do i sign u guys up for any reward??

Thanks and keep it goin like this, then one day, u guys will rise above MS making ur own OS

(tho id still like to see a mysql database option instead of your flat database files, cuz now im foolin around with getting that figured out and all, lol)
    If i think as i thought, i will do as i did and if i do what i did i will think as i thought....

Thanks for the positive feedback!
    It is good to hear from our users, we really appreciate it.

No reward is necessary, but if you feel really compelled, we wouldn't mind some positive reviews or votes on some of the sites that we're listed on, such as:
    http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/10525.html
    http://www.download.com/Zoom-Search-...-10366755.html

As for the MySQL database option, Zoom is fully capable of indexing a site which is generated from a MySQL database, and it is used on many sites with a MySQL, Postgres or various other database backends. However, Zoom uses its own highly optimized and compressed flat file database format to store its index data. We can not see any benefit in storing our index data in a MySQL database - you do not save any space because the extra index data required for Zoom to perform fast search results - would still need to be added to the database. This is why it often performs faster than a typical database search. There would also be extra overhead in connecting to the database, as well as disadvantages in migration, additional system requirements, and platform compatibility.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

on hotscripts i voted excellent (only cuz godlike is not in there)

i might be writing a review when i find the time and courage to write one

the only reason i want the search details in an mysql database is that for me it is easier to write sql statements to count how much and when and what is searched for, and i can automaticly run scripts on it for statistical purposes for my managers (they love statistics)

i know all above is possible with the flatfile database files too, but for me it is way more hassle to get that done. I'm not fully able to work with flat files yet in php, im learning that right now since im writing (goin to) a customised statistics script for it now, i want to be able to show things myself....
      i love things bein done for me, like ur statistics page, but those statistics are not dynamic, i need to update the statistic (even tho its able to do that automatic) every now and then, and that creates extra files or overwrite the excisting ones......
      with just 1 script and the graphical libraries from php i can make the stats page dynamic, so it doesnt require updating the stats anymore

and then comes there database looking around the corner
      its way easier to pull something out the database then out the flatfile (for above mentioned reason, since i know many people find it easier working with sql then files)

none the less, i respect ur descisions (its just a dream wish of mine) i still love Zoom! (hence this thread)
      If i think as i thought, i will do as i did and if i do what i did i will think as i thought....

Comment

Note that the benefits you describe can not be gained by having the index data stored in a SQL database instead of a flat file system. What you are actually referring to only requires storing the logging and statistical information in a SQL database, as opposed to the current text log file (searchwords.log).

However, what you may not realize is that the "searchwords.log" file is stored in a CSV (Comma Seperated Values) format. This means that you can easily import the statistical data into practically anything, including Excel, Access or indeed, a SQL database.

For parsing CSV files in PHP, take a look at the fgetcsv function.

For importing CSV into MySQL, consult your administration interface (which usually have Import features), or the LOAD DATA INFILE statement.

Hope that helps, and thanks for the vote
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

thnx

i will take a look at those options u gave
          that will probably save a h*ll of a lot of work

i took a dive in the searchwords.log file

can u explain some of the fields for me, where i got it wrong??

Code:
          2005-01-24, 14:29:52, 80.73.128.93, "gek", Matches = 8, OR, PerPage = 10, PageNum = 0, No cats, Time = 0.077
          date, time, ip, searched word, ammount of pages it is found on, search type, results showed per page, starting at page, category, time

is that correct?

Comment

Yes, that is correct. One thing that might be interesting to note is that the "PageNum" value is zero for a brand new search. Values greater than zero would indicate that it is probably the same search query but the user is browsing through different pages of search results.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
            X