Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wildcard * displays and highlights HTML code in result page

Hi again!

I'm using the Javascript Pro 5.1 version.

When I perform a search using a wildcard preceeding the search term (i.e., *_user_test) , the highlighted result displays the correct search term plus HTML code. For example:

The HTML line is:
    <code>Test_user_test</code>

The search query is:
    *_user_test

The highlighted result is:
    <CODE>Test_user_test
    (the <code> formatting display is now disabled, and the highlighted result does not display correct formatting - just "normal" text. The html <code> is included in the highlighted text)

Another search query:
    Test_user*

The highlighted result is:
    Correct! HTML code does not display and the text is correctly formatted.

Another search query:
    Test_user_test

The highlighted result is correct:
    Correct! HTML code does not display and the text is correctly formatted.

It appears that when entering a wildcard at the beginning of my search term results in the preceeding HTML to be displayed, but entering a wildcard at the end of my search term is not a problem.

Here's some background on my highlight script:
    A few months back, I was having a problem with the highlighting script. My pages would not scroll to the first highlighted word due to the presence of frames. I received a new highlight script from you and it's worked beautifully since. I do not know if this error occurs with the old (original) highlight script, but I can test if you think the new script may have something to do with this display error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

The problem appears in both IE7 and FireFox3.

Comment

We could not reproduce the problem. Can you e-mail us the files (ZIP up the HTML page, and the highlight.js you are using) and tell us what your search query is (what appears after "?zoom_highlight=") and we'll take a look.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thank you. I emailed the files.

Comment

Wildcard * displays recommended links and nothing else for me.

Comment

mtg169, I think you are describing a very different issue. This thread is about the "jump to highlighting" script, not the highlighting on your search results (nor recommended links).

Searching for nothing but a single "*" is also not a supported query. That's not what this thread was originally referring to - just the idea of having a "*" as part of a query, e.g. "*test"

And to close the thread, we have received and looked at the files from JG867 and have been conversing through e-mail. The problem described in the original post was solved by using the V6 beta highlight script.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
            X