PassMark Logo
Home » Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I specify a list of files to index by filename?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I specify a list of files to index by filename?

I have a need to index only a specific set of file names in a directory. Wildcarding won't work because too many of the file names are similar. I am looking to specify a list of files which I can pass via command line for the indexer. I run a nightly job which indexes a directory based on a configuration file which I am using. Can this be done via command line where I pass the list of files?

Thanks,
    - PB

The easy solution would be to place just the files (or copies of those files) you want to index into a sub-folder. Then index all files in the sub-folder.

Other solutions would be to
    1) Index the entire folder but add the all the files you don't want to index to the skip list
    2) Create a list of start points with each start point set to index 1 file (this is not the best solution in my opinion).

Comment

So, create an exclusion list

So basically in a script file, I'd create an initial list of files to index. Next I would then take the entire directoty listing and file by file I'd check the master list of "included" files and build an "exclusion" list. I'm assuming the list of files would be in a comma delimited format.

What would be the command line syntax for doing this?

The problem is that ideally it would be great to have a folder where I could guarantee that the files being indexed are 100% however I can't account for content uploaded by other managers. What I do have is the definitive list in the database of files which are valid. It doesn't seem to difficult, just that there's some prep work prior to building the Search database.

Thanks,
      Jim

Comment

See this FAQ and the "-addpage" and "-addpages" parameters in particular:
        Q. How do I use the command line options with the Zoom Indexer?

Note that these are incremental features and require an existing set of index files to be generated first. Please see the Users Guide for more information on how Incremental Indexing works.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X