Generating Search Word Reports - logs and stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generating Search Word Reports - logs and stats

Im having trouble setting up Zoom to generate Search reports. I have the search logging feature setup to generate a log at logs/searchwords.log. I have the file permissions set correctly on the web server to be able to write to the file.

Im getting the following error...

Unable to write to log file (./logs/searchwords.log). Check that you have specified the correct log filename in your Indexer settings and that you have the required file permissions set.

Is there some other setting I need to change?

Maybe you don't have a sub-folder called /logs/. Or maybe the permissions don't allow file creation or writing.

See this page for details of how to set up logging.

If you still have a problem after carfully reading the above FAQ page, can you tell us what O/S is running on the server, what permissions you have set, and the URL of the search function.

Comment

I do have a folder called logs created and my web host provider has setup write permissions to the folder.

Im currently running the script inside a template so the search box is visible on every page. The URL to the website is http://www.garrettcontainer.com

Our web host runs Windows Server 2003 Enterprise with PHP 4.4.7

Comment

PHP 4.4.7 is now fairly old but it should not effect this issue.

You didn't state what permissions have been set, but it seems very likely that whatever was set is not correct. Note that file / folder permissions on Windows /IIS are fairly complex in comparison to Linux. So it is easy to get it wrong.

If you can get us full access to the machine (e.g. remote desktop as admin), then we could check the settings.

Comment

Originally posted by kristin View Post
          I do have a folder called logs created and my web host provider has setup write permissions to the folder.
          Is this "logs" folder a sub-folder of the "search" folder where you have your search files? Note that your log path is specified as "./logs/searchwords.log" and the "./" at the front means you are referencing a sub-folder of the current directory.

If you are unfamiliar with the concept of relative paths, you should look at Appendix B in the Users Guide. There are also many tutorials online which explain this.

So I noticed your search page is here:
          http://www.garrettcontainer.com/search/search.php?zoom_query=logistics

And yet, this path gives me a 404 "file not found" error:
          http://www.garrettcontainer.com/search/logs/

This path however gives me a "Directory Listing denied" error which leads me to suspect it actually exists:
          http://www.garrettcontainer.com/logs/

Which is why I am making the guess that you have a logs folder in a different location than that which is specified as your log path.

Of course, without direct access to the server, I can only go by what I can see from here.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I did have the log folder in the wrong location, but even after changing my configuration file Im still getting the same error.

How do I go about giving you admin rights so you can look at the setup?

Comment

If the logs folder is not where you thought it was, did the hosting company set permissions on the right folder? What permissions did they set on what folder?

Are you on shared hosting, or dedicated hosting? It would be very rare to be able to get server admin access from your hosting company on a shared host.

Comment

I had my web host redo the permission to the logs folder and that seemed to take care of the problem.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                X