how to index metadata within a category

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to index metadata within a category

Hi there. I have set up some categories based on folders such as hr, it, finance etc. Within these folders I have placed the documents relating to these categories (e.g. files created by finance go into the finance folder etc.) Note that all these files are documents (pdf, word etc) and not webpages.
    The categories search works fine for docuement name but the metadata such as keywords and the file content does not factor into the results.
    So when searching via a category, is it true that only the filename/path is searched? If so how can I include the document contents, meta as per a normal search of all categories? Hope this makes sense.
    Cheers.

Zoom will search document content, and meta data for all files (PDF, Word, HTML pages, etc) when you are using Category search or otherwise.

I suspect there's something else that's causing the behaviour you are seeing. If your search page is online, provide us with a URL and we can take a look, which would allow for a much faster diagnosis.

If that's not possible, check for the following:
    1. On the "Indexing Options" tab, make sure you have "Page content", "Meta description", "Meta keywords" checked (and anything else you want to search for)
    2. On the "Scan Options" tab, double click the file extension such as ".pdf" and make sure you have "Retrieve internal meta information" selected for all the file types you are looking at.
    3. Make sure you are using all index files from the same session. That is, when you last re-indexed, you did not uploaded some ZDAT files and left out others, causing there to be a mix of files from different sessions on your server. Note that this includes the "settings.php" (or "settings.asp") file if you are using PHP or ASP. If you use Zoom to upload your files, this would not be a problem.
    4. Tell us if you are using a third party application to upload the files. The files need to be uploaded in BINARY mode, not TEXT/ASCII mode which some programs may mistakenly do. If you use Zoom to upload your files, you would not have this problem.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks Raymond.
      I did have all those options selected. i have located the problem, it was in the locations for the categories. Damn typos!!!
      thanks for your help again

Comment

Working...
      X