Categories via document metadata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Categories via document metadata

Hi there. I've been searching a lot for a solution to creating categories based on say the author value in the document properties. I understand this can be achieved with the use of .desc files. However in my case I would be able to get the actual document authors to put appropriate metadata in their documents but it would be unfeasable to create individual desc files for each document.
    My question is, is it possible to create categories based on say the author metadata? For instance a category of 'Human Resources' which would return all documents authorerd by 'human resources'.
    Thanks and sorry if I have missed the answer to this somewhere else. p.s. I am using version 5.1.
    Cheers,
    Sebastian

You can specify the category which a page belongs to with a meta ZOOMCATEGORY tag.

So a page containing the meta tag:
    <meta name="ZOOMCATEGORY" content="Human Resources">

Will be returned when doing a search in the category named "Human Resources".

You'll find more information on this in chapter 2.5 of the Users Guide, under the heading, "Specifying category per file".
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply Ray. My post may have been a little misleading. I wanted to know if you can have a category search based ion the metadata in a document such as a pdf. I would like to defin a new search to search only a specific folder named say "policies", which would onyl contain pdfs, word doc, xls etc, not html.
      When configuring this search you can specify what metadata is used/displayed in the results , but can you have a category option that will only search documents (pdf, word etc) based on all documents authored by "human resources".
      Cheers,
      Sebastian

Comment

Categories only group results based on either their URL/filename matching a given pattern, or the aforementioned HTML meta tag.

The author value stored inside the PDF's meta data will be indexed if you have "Retrieve internal meta information" enabled for the ".pdf" extension. This allows you to search for an exact phrase of "human resources" and find these documents, but it will not distinguish between "human resources" being mentioned in the author field as opposed to document content.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X