Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Style Question: 1 Site w/ 2 Different Looks

Hi,

I have Zoom working well on my site and am now adding an online store. The store (and of course associated store pages) has a very different look from the main site.

I figure it makes the most sense to have a single search for both of these principal areas of my site. I may well incorporate categories into the search.

Couple of general style / function questions here:

1) As these 2 portions of my site will have very different looks... I'd like to hear advice or opinions on how to design my results page. I currently have the results page looking like the main site but if a user enters a search from the store section... I don't want them to feel like they've left the store. I had thought of something of a visual hybrid between the two sections.

2) I wonder if anyone else has "split" a site the way I'm doing here, and if so, how did you then tie the single search between the two so that it all made sense to the user?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
    John

The sensible thing (in my humble opinion) would be to make your store and the rest of your site have a consistent look. Otherwise you could switch the CSS on the fly to give different looks to the results page.

Comment

Ordinarily I might agree but in this case it's important for the 2 unique looks. I hadn't thought about switching the CSS but after considering it further today I'm leaning towards the blending of the two looks for the results page.

On a related note... would there be a way to differentiate the results of the main section from the results of store section?

John

Comment

Hmm what do you mean by differentiating the results? If you have Categories defined, the search results will show up with a tag next to them, indicating the category they belong to. You would also be able to filter your results by categories. You can see this on the search function on our own website.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,

That tag indicating the category is just what I meant... I will incorporate that, thanks!

John

Comment

Working...
          X