No Results from Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Results from Search

I am using Zoom to index the contents of a series of files held in seperate folders on my hard drive. The search page (search.htm) is accessed via a browser page (index.htm) which is in a folder called "search" and the folders containing the files to be indexed reside on the next level down the tree e.g.C:\search\file folders\
    The search facility is accessed by several computers on a small network by my having created a "network place" on each PC and by sharing the folder "search" and its children on my PC

Now comes the problem. I can index the files OK (using the java script option) but when I do a search from another PC using the process above I get no results. I think it must be something to do with absolute or relative addressing and whilst I understand the concept of this I am obviously getting something wrong!!!

In the example above can someone please tell me where the output files need to be and what address I should using for the base URL - and anything else I am doing wrong!!
    Thanks in frustrated anticipation

If you want to keep the same directory structure, then in the Base URL text field, type in "./file folders/" without the quotes.

Regards,
    K

Comment

Originally posted by leswaller View Post
      Now comes the problem. I can index the files OK (using the java script option) but when I do a search from another PC using the process above I get no results.
      Can you elaborate on what you mean by getting no results. Do you actually have a blank page after clicking "Search", or, do you only see the search form and the page stops after the "Search results for..." heading. Or a "No results found" message, or something else entirely?

It would only be a problem related to paths if you actually DO get results back from the search, but clicking on the links lead to "page not found" errors.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

No Results from Search

Ray
        If I search for the word asthma, then all I get is a statement under the search box saying "Search results for: asthma" and nothing else on the page

Comment

How many files are you indexing? You might be exceeding the limits of the Javascript option. Did you try the same search in different browsers (IE & Firefox)?

Comment

I get the same results ( or rather non results) in both IE6 and FF3
            The indexer is succesfully indexing 727 files according to the summary

Comment

If the files are medium to large, then it is possible that you have exceeded the capacity of Javascript. Try indexing just 100 files with the same settings.

If you still have a problem Zip up your search files and E-Mail them to us.

Comment

You should also refer to this FAQ for more information on the JavaScript platform and its shortcomings.

Considering this is for Intranet use, you should consider hosting a local web server (IIS is readily available on every Windows machine) and running the ASP or PHP version. This FAQ explains the scalability of the platforms available.
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I dont believe I am falling foul of the java script restrictions, I have emailed you my search files as requested and look forward to your comments
                  Many thanks

Comment

Many thanks David, that has solved the problem

Comment

For others reading this, the solution was to reset the path to the Javascript script, in the search.html file, back to their default values.

Comment

Working...
                      X