• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlighting/Removed Scripts/Still No Jump

Hi,
    Yes, another highlighting question. Here's my setup:

Javascript search
    HomeSite HTML editor
    Professional Edition (downloaded in June)
    IE 7
    Firefox 2.0.0.14

Even though I have the jump to highlight toggle on within the Zoom Config. Wizard I could never get it to work correctly. I have a few simple scripts running on my html pages, which I assumed were conflicting with the highlight.js script. Search terms were highlighted, but the page never jumped. Not perfect, but it was still okay.

However, now that I've purchased the Pro. edition, and everything is up and running well, I decided to re-visit the jump to highlighting function and perform some debugging to see if I could actually get it to work.

I removed each script, one at a time, reran the indexer each time, and performed a search on the modified document. Highlighting worked every time, but not the "jump" function. Jump was still not working, even after I removed all scripts from my page.

So, I decided to just start over, I created a brand new clean html file and placed the search word at the bottom of the page.
    I've reindexed the page & performed the search. Zoom correctly highlighted the word, but still did not jump! I was using IE 7, but verified the same behavior was occurring in Firefox.

I went back to the Zoom Program Files folder and copied the "original" highlight.js file again (just in case something was screwed up, although I didn't touch the file!) and jump is still not working. I even, just for fun, moved the <script> tag to after the </body> tag...still no jump.

Highlighting works, but not jump - even when there are no scripts on the page.

Do you have any other suggestions? I'm really getting desperate!

I assume the page is long enough that you can clearly see a jump happening, or not happening as the case may be? (e.g. 3 to 4 screen lengths). Can you post the URL to your test page so that we can examine it.

Comment

Hello,

It's offline - not posted on the web and contains proprietary information (software related), so I'm sorry I can't post it anywhere public.

Yes - the new html page contains some text, then lines and lines of random characters, then a sentence containing words that I perform a search on (actually it says, "testing this out", then I perform a search on the word "testing"). You cannot see this word unless you scroll the page (and yes it displays as highlighted).

Is there anything I can verify? Can you suggest maybe another way to test?

I used the free version, then upgraded to the professional version.....if that helps you.

Thanks so much for your help.

Comment

Remove or replace the proprietary text, then E-mail us or post the URL. Otherwise we are just wasting time guessing at what might be on your page.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I agree.

I will zip up the html, css, and associated search files (including config).....

thanks so much for helping a confused person.

Comment

I did further testing and I removed the <div> tags (which are used instead of frames) surrounding the content containing the search terms, and "jump" worked correctly..so at least now I've narrowed the problem down.

My div tags have fixed positions within the document. The header area (title), left side (TOC) and right side (content). This allows the right-side content to scroll while freezing the top and left side.

If you know of a way to get jump to work while maintaining my div tags that would be fantastic! In the meantime, I will try to work with my CSS layout but, I really don't want to have to redesign the entire layout....

I searched posts on this forum and discovered an old post with a similiar problem, but there was no resolution (but it at least confirmed my problem!).
            Last edited by JG867; Jul-13-2008, 04:41 AM. Reason: clarity!

Comment

The Zip file you sent was all messed up. A lot of the content was replaced with this messages like this.

Microsoft Forefront Security for Exchange Server removed a file since it was found to match a filter.
              File name: "winmail.dat->searchtestGaffan.zip->zoom_pageinfo.js"
              Filter name: "FILE FILTER= PL File Filter: *.js"

Comment

Originally posted by JG867 View Post
                My div tags have fixed positions within the document. The header area (title), left side (TOC) and right side (content). This allows the right-side content to scroll while freezing the top and left side.
                This sounds like it would be accomplished with Javascript? If this is the case, then conflicts are possible, as described in our FAQ.

We have been working on a new version of the jump to highlighting script which has proven to be more compatible with other Javascripts on the webpage (but as explained, it's not possible to be compatible with all Javascripts). You can e-mail us if you want to beta test this.
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the response. No, these <div> tags are controlled by CSS. I have removed ALL javascripts from the document, but still could not get the jump function to work. There is no javascript on the page (well, except the highlighting script!)

Highlighting worked correctly, but the page never jumped. It wasn't until after I removed the <div> tags, so that the content was just within the <body> tags, that jump worked. The fixed position <div> tags must not be compatible? If you're interested, I will send the files again (since they were not sent correctly the first time) for review and perhaps you can offer suggestions....

thanks!
                  Last edited by JG867; Jul-14-2008, 01:14 AM. Reason: corrected typo

Comment

Did you say that the <div> tags are outside the <body>...</body> tags? That's not valid HTML is it? You might want to check your page with the W3C Validator.
                    --Ray
                    Wrensoft Web Software
                    Sydney, Australia
                    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

No, the <div> tag is correctly within the <body> tag. I meant to say, once I removed the <div> tags, this caused the content to be at the <body> level tag and jump worked.

Actually I have 3 div tags; one to control the title area (top) of the page, one to control the menu (TOC) of the page (left) and one to control the content (right). Each div tag is a fixed position, which causes scrollbars to appear in the content area if the content is longer than one page. When I removed the <div> tags surrounding only the content, jump worked, but it obviously messed up my layout.

Here's a very simple, raw explanation:

Before (no jump, but highlight works):
                      <body>
                      <div id="xxx">
                      .....Content here.....
                      </div>
                      </body>

After (jump & highlight work):
                      <body>
                      ........Content here......
                      </body>

I'll resend my documents email.

Comment

We've had a look at your files.

The problem is not to do with the <div> tag itself - the highlight script supports <div> tags fine, and you will find that you can highlight and jump to other elements within different div tags on that same page. The problem is due to that particular div tag having an "overflow: auto" CSS attribute, which gives it its own scrollbar. The browser treats this as a separate window and so it is unable to scroll it using the current method.

Doing some research, we found that Microsoft invented a Javascript function called "scrollIntoView()" which will allow the browser to scroll to an element even within the "overflow" div element. This is not standard however, and not supported by many other browsers. Fortunately, in our testing, it seems to work in the latest version of IE and Firefox, which may be good enough for most.

We have been working on a new highlight script for V6, and we might add a change so that when this function is available, we will use it. When it is not available on the browser, it will use the more universally supported "window.scrollTo" method (which will fail for your "overflow" CSS).
                        --Ray
                        Wrensoft Web Software
                        Sydney, Australia
                        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                        X