Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search Results Question

Hi everyone,

I just discovered the product, and it looks very promising, however I have a couple of challenging issues in getting it to work in my environment, and I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Due to the limitations of my company's server, I will have to run this script in javascript mode. (they do however support .asp, but no php or perl)....

As I understand it, a "normal" search functions happens as such:

The standard search form (having a search box and button), performs a search and returns a lists of results on the same page. In order to view a result, you *must* click on a link in the returned list of results.

What I need/want to accomplish is to remove this step. I want to press the submit button and have the results *directly* viewed in the page (in an iframe), skipping the "click a link to view results" portion.

In most cases, the results I am returning will rarely ever be more than 1 item, so this is not really a problem. (I'm building a searching logo database, so you are only going to get 1 for any particular query.)

is this possible?
    Thanks!
    -Nick

Javascript is the worst performing option. ASP would be better. But still not as good as PHP or CGI.

If you want to automatically open the #1 result from a search then this would require some custom development.

Comment

Originally posted by wrensoft View Post
      Javascript is the worst performing option. ASP would be better. But still not as good as PHP or CGI.

If you want to automatically open the #1 result from a search then this would requrie some custom development.
      Ok, granted, however my company is not being very flexible in this. I can use ASP I believe, but I know for a fact that they support javascript on their servers, so at least I have that as a fallback..

Fortunately, I'm not talking about indexing very much stuff, so a little bit of a performance hit is ok.

How much custom programming are we talking about here? Is this something I can tackle? Or is it going to require your assistance?

thanks!
      -Nick

Comment

Well that's hard to say considering we have no idea what your programming experience is! The fact that you are asking probably indicates that you'll be best finding/paying a more experienced developer to help out. It's not difficult if you know what you're doing.

If you want us to do custom development, you will have to contact us directly and request a quotation.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X