Category fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Category fun

I'm using a custom search form, and all our issues have worked out so far, but I'm having a little challenge with the categories. I know that Zoom assigns a number to each category.

We're using the free version Zoom in order to test the application with the dev box for our intranet, and try and iron out as many issues as possible.

In order to attempt to test out indexing multiple categories, we chose two publications directories on our intranet site, for which we called the categories Interest Points and Statesman

The standard Zoom-generated search form (as generated in the results page) gives us these category options:

Here's the default as shown on the zoom generated form:

<option value="-1">All</option>
    <option value="0">Interest Points</option>
    <option value="1">Statesman</option>
    <option value="2">All</option>

According to this information, Interest Points should be the category labeled "0" and StatesMan should be the category labeled "1" ...however, it's "-1" that seems to be the Interest Points file index and "2" that seems to be the StatesMan file index. "0" and "1" appear to be empty of any indexing content.

So, on my manually corrected version of the form, i go back and adjust the options to the numbers that appear to correspond with the actual categories. And the search results work, but instead of including the appropriate category name in the search results title, it says the results returned are in the "all" category.

I've recommended to the systems person who is working on the install with me that he discard all categories and attempt to rebuild...any other thoughts on what could be wrong?

My initial guess is that Zoom is working correctly and that you have defined the categories incorrectly.

For example maybe the pattern for the StatesMan section of your web site is not matching any files and they are being put into the default catch all category.

Can you post up your category patterns and some example URLs.

----
    David

Comment

Re: Category fun

Originally posted by LizJ
      According to this information, Interest Points should be the category labeled "0" and StatesMan should be the category labeled "1" ...however, it's "-1" that seems to be the Interest Points file index and "2" that seems to be the StatesMan file index. "0" and "1" appear to be empty of any indexing content.
      Can you tell us how you are determining this? The options displayed by the search form should be correct, assuming the categories have not changed since you last looked at the generated form.

You should also make sure that your categories are setup correctly. You may find that certain pages may have been grouped to a different category than the one you expected, if for example, you have misspelled the category pattern, or used the wrong slash, etc. Also, be aware that each file can only belong to one category only, and that they are grouped by the order of the categories defined. So if a page matches the patterns for both "Interest Points" and "Statesman", it would only belong to "Interest Points".

Another thing I noted - it seems that you have your default category named "All", so I think you may have misunderstood how this works. The "All" category option is always available as "-1". The "default category" is a catch-all category, for any files which do not belong to one of the categories defined. It is often named "Miscellaneous" or "Other files" for this reason.

You will find more detailed information on categories in the Users Guide:
      http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/usersguide.html
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
      X