Search with asterix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search with asterix

I´m trying to search with asterix "*" but I´m not really happy with the result.
    For example a search for "wire*" brings me results like "wires", "wireless", "wiremap", but not "wire" itself.
    It means, that the asterix stands for minimum one character.

Is there a solution for my problem ?

(I´m using CGI method in a Server2Go environment)
    Last edited by ChristianH; May-07-2008, 09:19 AM. Reason: additional technical information

We have confirmed that this is a bug in the CGI of the current release.

It will be fixed in the next release (5.1.1016). Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks

It´s working now !

Comment

The same Problem with the question mark '?'

The problem was resolved for the asterick character, but
        I have found the same problem with the question mark '?'.

Comment

That's unlikely. Can you elaborate and provide an example where you think the problem is occurring?

I say it's unlikely because the original problem only apply to the asterix wildcard (which means "any character occurring 1 or more times").

A question mark wildcard however, means "any character occurring exactly once".

So with the original example, "wire?" would only match "wires", but would NOT match "wireless", "wiremap", and not even "wire".

If you understand this, and are still experiencing unexpected behaviour with the question mark wildcard, please let us know.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

You are Right!

But i have supposed that your engine would be a "Google Like search engine".

In fact, I 'm looking for a way to search a word and the plurial of the word on one shoot!

Comment

You can find previous discussions on plural searches aka stemming here:
              http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=537

It is not an easy thing to add due to our supporting many different languages besides English. A possible solution is through a detailed language definition, and a full dictionary of the words in that language but this is resource intensive.

While Google also supports many languages, you must remember their service is hosted on many machines (over 450,000 servers is the last estimate). That's alot of hardware and disk space.

You could create a very extension synonyms list in Zoom with all the plural form of every word in your language, but that makes the index much larger than what most of our users have available with their web hosting.

Having said that, it is an area we are looking into for a future release.
              Last edited by Ray; Jul-11-2008, 01:02 AM.
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

We have added Stemming support for the upcoming V6 release. Please see this thread for information.
                --Ray
                Wrensoft Web Software
                Sydney, Australia
                Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                X