skip issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skip issues

I have been able to use the skip function to bypass all the duplicate content and other stuff easily, but I have run into one snag. Part of our site is a wordpress blog http://www.crimethinc.com/blog/ and it makes pages for each month, like
    http://www.crimethinc.com/blog/2008/04/
    but i want to skip those when indexing since the individual posts are much more useful in search results. However, because a normal post has a url that is exactly the same, but with stuff on the end of it, such as
    http://www.crimethinc.com/blog/2008/04/09/from-the-archives-seattle-logistics-zine/
    if it put the monthly page on the skip list, it also skips the individual posts from that month, which is bad. Right now I am just manually removing all the monthly pages from the index post-indexing, but I was hoping there could be some automatic way. Thanks!

Sure looks like the same issue to me!

Comment

Originally posted by MergeThis View Post
      Sure looks like the same issue to me!
      same issue as what? am i missing something?

Comment

There was a no index feature added in V5.1 of Zoom.

So you can use a tag like this,
        <meta name="robots" content="noindex">
        on the pages you don't want indexed.

Or you could wrap the text in ZOOMSTOP tags.

Comment

would that meta tag have to go in the header? Or would the body be okay? As far as I can tell looking through the wordpress php files, there is only one place where i could add that tag where it would only appear on the Monthly Archive pages, and that is in the body. Because the pages are dynamically generated and all use the same header, there is no way for me to apply it only to some pages.*

*ps: i'm sure there is a way, but it is beyond my coding skill level, which is near zero.

Comment

Yes the meta tag is only valid if it is within the <head> ... </head> section of the HTML page.

If you can't add the noindex tag, have you tried the ZOOMSTOP method mentioned above? You can put this right at the start of the body, and ZOOMRESTART right at the end (note that both tags need to be present for it to work - see link for details).
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

The same as http://www.wrensoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2519

Comment

Originally posted by MergeThis View Post
                I think you are confused, these are two totally separate issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                  Yes the meta tag is only valid if it is within the <head> ... </head> section of the HTML page.

If you can't add the noindex tag, have you tried the ZOOMSTOP method mentioned above? You can put this right at the start of the body, and ZOOMRESTART right at the end (note that both tags need to be present for it to work - see link for details).
                  Hmm, that is what I feared. The way WordPress displays these monthly archive pages is that they are pulled from the same PHP index file as all the other pages in the blog, but just with different variables. It pulls the same header and footer and posts as a normal page does, the only part that I can see as different is where it prints "Archive for" which is my only chance to insert some code that ONLY appears on the archive page. Unfortunately, that means all I could get in would be a ZOOMSTOP code but with no opportunity to put in the closing ZOOMRESTART.

Perhaps this issue just can't be solved without somehow changing the way WordPress works?

Comment

We don't know the WordPress code well enough (not at all in fact) to really know what changes would be required. I would suspect there probably is a solution that would involve just a couple of lines of additional code in WordPress (to insert a line of meta data for some pages). But it might take a few hours of research to write those couple of lines.

Comment

Originally posted by wrensoft View Post
                      We don't know the WordPress code well enough (not at all in fact) to really know what changes would be required. I would suspect there probably is a solution that would involve just a couple of lines of additional code in WordPress (to insert a line of meta data for some pages). But it might take a few hours of research to write those couple of lines.
                      I gotcha, don't worry about it—removing them manually works just fine. Really, I was thinking the solution would be on the Zoom end and I just didn't know about it. Thanks for looking into it, and keep up the good work!

Oh, and one final request—make Zoom 6 work in OS X too! (I know, fat chance). I run it in virtualized XP (the only reason I ever run XP), but it would be great to have it native, and be able to use the timed indexing, etc. There are no other Mac apps that do this and lots of web developers are Mac people—and that number is increasing daily, so perhaps it could be worth your while?
                      Last edited by pfm; Apr-12-2008, 04:58 PM. Reason: rushed grammar

Comment

Working...
                      X