Why Zoom Search don't support Chinese characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Zoom Search don't support Chinese characters

I use Zoom Search v5.1 to create Chinese search engine. The application downloads form your website.

I find it can display Chinese Characters correctly in Search.html, But if you type Chinese text in search textbox, and click "submit" button, the Chinese text will be displayed unknown symbols. Pls check it the application whether existing bug?

Note: I have applied correct configrations in language tab.

We do support Chinese. Searches are not as accurate as with latin based languages, but some support is provided.

See this FAQ for details of languages support. We would suggest using UTF-8 in general. But there is a specfic section on the FAQ page for using Chinese, with the GB2312 character set with Javascript.

Comment

Originally posted by wrensoft View Post
      We do support Chinese. Searches are not as accurate as with latin based languages, but some support is provided.

See this FAQ for details of languages support. We would suggest using UTF-8 in general. But there is a specfic section on the FAQ page for using Chinese, with the GB2312 character set with Javascript.
      Thank you for your quick reply. FAQ tells an alternative method to resolve using GB2312's problem.

Notes for using GB2312 with the Javascript option: Due to issues with browser support for using GB2312 in Javascript (JS), it may be necessary to create a custom search form to encode the search query so that it can be correctly decoded in JS. If you are using GB2312 and the JS search option, you may need to use the following search form HTML to submit your query correctly:
      <form method="get" action="search.html">
      <input type="text" name="zoom_query" size="20"><br><br>
      <input type="button" value="Search" onClick="window.location='search.html?zoom_query=' + escape(this.form.zoom_query.value)" >
      </form>

But, I don't understand the above HTML code should be added to...? Which files? Which area?

I'm appreciated if you can reply.

Comment

The HTML supplied above is an alternative search form which submits the search query in a different manner to workaround a browser issue.

You can copy + paste the HTML into your search.html template page and disable the automatically generated form (on the "Search Page" tab of the Configuration window, click the dropdown for "Search form" and change from "Advanced" to "Do not generate"). You can also copy and paste this HTML onto other pages of your website that you wish to have a search box appear.

Note that the above is not necessary if you are using UTF-8.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I follow the above method. it still displays unkown symbols when I type Chinese text (eg. 应收). But if typing English text (eg. Excel), it can list correct results.

Note: Advanced tab of Regional and Language Options window (You can find it on Control panel of Windows OS), I select Chinese (PRC) from drop-list.

If you have need, U can download my sample from

http://w15.easy-share.com/1699840349.html

or

http://www.zshare.net/download/8854149263984d/

The other images, you can visit
          http://img4.bizhat.com/4032/languages_tab.jpg
          http://img4.bizhat.com/4032/html_2.jpg

Comment

I tested your files but they work fine for me here using the same search words. I am testing with Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 2.

You should make sure you have reloaded the page properly in your browser after making the abovementioned changes (ctrl-F5 in IE7) and that you are not looking at a cached copy of the page.

The regional setting should not make a difference here, but I'll do some more checking on our other test machines with older IE versions and other regional settings to see if it behaves any differently.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Just repeated the test in IE6 (XP) and again, no problems with the chinese search query.

Also tested with both English and Chinese regional ("Language for non-Unicode programs") settings.
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi, Ray.

I am using Windows Internet Explorer 7 and Windows XP SP2

Maybe I have already found the reason displaying unkonwn symbols when typing Chinese text.

Reproduce the steps

1 Copy or type Chinese text into Search textbox in search.html.
                2 Press Enter key.
                You will find the page displays unknown symbols.

Note:
                1 If you click Search button, it will be OK.
                2 If you copy or type English text into Search textbox, then press Enter key. it will be OK yet.

So I think mybe some codes need to be revised. (Maybe Search.html or Search.js need to be done this)

TKS! Ray
                Last edited by ShaneChen; Mar-13-2008, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Oh, I see now. Yes, you're right, the code was only handling mouse clicks and not enter key presses. Since we do not type in Chinese characters in our testing (we always copy and paste the words since we do not have Chinese keyboards, etc.), we always use the mouse and thus, always click on the 'Search' button instead of pressing the 'Enter' key.

This new HTML form will address this issue and should work with either mouse clicking on the Search button, or pressing the Enter key.

<form method="get" action="search.html" onsubmit="window.location='search.html?zoom_query= ' + escape(this.zoom_query.value); return false;">
                  <input type="submit" value="Search">
                  </form>
                  We'll update our FAQ pages with this new form. Let us know if you have any other problems.
                  --Ray
                  Wrensoft Web Software
                  Sydney, Australia
                  Zoom Search Engine

Comment

BTW, you will want to turn on "Substring match for all searches" on the Languages tab to improve your Chinese searching.
                    --Ray
                    Wrensoft Web Software
                    Sydney, Australia
                    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                      <form method="get" action="search.html" onsubmit="window.location='search.html?zoom_query= ' + escape(this.zoom_query.value); return false;">
                      <input type="submit" value="Search">
                      </form>
                      The new code is OK now.

The text which is typed will be disappeared in search textbox after users click search button.
                      Some users prefer hold the text in the textbox, even he or she has clicks search button. [like Google]

Could you tell me how to modify the above HTML code so that to be fit for my user's needs.

BTW: The above HTML code for GB2312 only is equal "Basic" Search form appearance. The above HTML code whether can be improved, let it is equal "Advanced" Search form appearance.

Thanks Ray again!
                      Last edited by ShaneChen; Mar-13-2008, 07:23 AM.

Comment

A custom search form (as opposed to the one generated by the search script) will not automatically "fill in" or retain the previous search values. This is the compromise to using a custom form.

As explained before, the generated form only does not work when you are using the Javascript version and the GB2312 charset due to what appears to be a bug/inherent issue in the browser. The above is a workaround for a browser issue.

If you would like to use a generated search form (which will retain values and have advanced options), then we would recommend either using the UTF-8 charset, or if possible, a different scripting platform (PHP, ASP, CGI). Note that you should only use JS if you need to host the files without a web server available (such as a CD-ROM). More information here. If you are indeed creating a search engine for a CD/DVD, then there are other options here as well.
                        --Ray
                        Wrensoft Web Software
                        Sydney, Australia
                        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                        X