No announcement yet.

Setting/Changing the search result url.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting/Changing the search result url.

Hi,

I'm using AJAX to load content into my HTML files. Basically I have two set of files. One is filename_page.html and the corresponding filename_content.htm. The latter is included by the results via a request object and writing the content in the document at the calling function position. What exactly do I need to modify in search.js so if the result is found in filename_content.htm the url is filename_page.html.

Thanks a bunch. And great software by the way. If this issue is resolvable, I will definitely get the Pro version.

Seems like a complex why to build a web site. AJAX and Javascript can stop spiders correctly indexing the contents of web site.

Anyway, it sounds like the same problem that people see when using frames. The problem being that it is possible to look at the content pages outside of their frameset. This can happen if people just type in the URL or follow a link (from search results or elsewhere).

Wouldn't the better and more general solution to be to add a automatic re-direct from the content pages back to the container page. Thus preventing all viewing of the content without the framing page.

Another solution might be to use the link re-write function in Zoom. e.g.
    Find: _content.htm
    Replace with: _page.html

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply (allowing for difference in time zones of course). I was just wondering, I would be facing a similar issue if I were to use Server Side Includes or even CSIs with Javascript, correct?

This probably wouldn't happen if I used dynamic pages. But its part of the requirements of my project, the pages need to be plain .html even though the content is dynamic and subject to change.

I have read the link you referred me to, but there does not seem any mention of AJAX. Please clarify this point, if I am using AJAX to load content dynamically from external pages, would that hinder the performance of Zoom and other web search engines?

Lastly, would the change you suggested in the Javascript version be possible in the CGI version, since I would probably switch to that once the web server comes into play. Just testing Zoom on my own computer currently.

Again, thank a bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by FaizanM View Post
        Thanks for the prompt reply (allowing for difference in time zones of course). I was just wondering, I would be facing a similar issue if I were to use Server Side Includes or even CSIs with Javascript, correct?
        You shouldn't need to have two different files as you describe with Server Side Includes. You would only index the copy of the file that is visible to the end user.

Any sort of include using Javascript has the same issue as mentioned before. Javascript is client-side scripting, which means that it is up to the browser to execute the script and decide what to include into the page. Spiders in general do not execute Javascripts because they cannot manipulate the user input that may be necessary (JS are only designed for browsers and a real human end user with a mouse and keyboard).

I have read the link you referred me to, but there does not seem any mention of AJAX. Please clarify this point, if I am using AJAX to load content dynamically from external pages, would that hinder the performance of Zoom and other web search engines?
        AJAX is just a fancy name for Javascript. Technically, it is a name given to the use of Javascript with XML (asynchronously). All of the information given above referring to Javascript applies to AJAX. Web spiders will not execute the JS, and will not dynamically load the content. You will need to provide an alternate version of the page which can be accessed by JS disabled clients (which can include Internet Kiosks and anyone with JS disabled in their browser). The abovementioned FAQ has more information.

Lastly, would the change you suggested in the Javascript version be possible in the CGI version, since I would probably switch to that once the web server comes into play. Just testing Zoom on my own computer currently.
        The Link Rewrite option will work for any of the platforms. You can find it on the "Indexing Options" tab of the Configuration window.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Excellent, the Link Rewrite option seems to be working just fine. Thank you both and thanks Ray for providing some much needed clarity. Two months into web development and I'm getting work which is clearly beyond my level of understanding at this point...

Anyway I hope you will contend with my naivety a little longer. Will the CGI option be platform independent? The web server(s) may be running Apache or IIS under Linux or Windows.

Also what exactly do I need to ask the hosting company to enable CGI files to run? I'm going to write them an e-mail and I want to be sure of what I'm asking - I have read the Zoom manual and despite the fact it is very well detailed, I'm a little lost on this...

Thank you for your indulgence.

Comment

The CGI option will only work with,
            - x86 (Intel / AMD) hardware
            AND
            - Windows (XP, 2003, Vista, 2008 , BSD Unix, Linux (Most distros) and some versions of Solaris.
            AND
            - Any web server that can call a CGI.
            AND
            - A web server that has been set up correctly to support CGI's

But, depending on your hosting company, getting a CGI installed can be harder than a ASP or PHP script.

The key question for your hosting company would be, "do you support CGI's and if so, do you support CGI's written in any language including compiled binaries (not just Perl)".

See also this wikipedia page for background information.

Comment

Working...
            X