Page weights using DNN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page weights using DNN

Hi, I am having a problem with Zoom's page weight settings. Here's my situation. Our site is a DNN site. It's a site for a retail furniture store. The site shows a list of products which the user can click on, at which time a detail of the selected product is shown.

The problem is, that when a customer searches my site for a particular product, the search result page puts the page showing the general list of ALL products first, instead of the detail page. I believe the detail page should always take preference.

I have tried using the ZOOMPAGEBOOST option on the detail page but it does not affect the search result. Note, that the DNN module I am using for displaying our products is called WildPortfolio, and it contains an html template that you use to arrange the way the detail page shows up. It is here that I put the zoompageboost option with a value of 5. Obviously when the actual html page is rendered to the customer's browser, the zoompageboost does not show up until considerably far down on the page which may be the reason zoom isn't seeing it or processing it, but there's nothing I can do about that because of the nature of DNN.

In case you want to see the site, go to www.barstoolsandmore.com and you can search for a term "madison". You will see two results show up. The second result shown is from the detail page which is the one I want to show first.

Thanks for any help!!

I checked your site and you are correct, at the moment the ZOOMPAGEBOOST tag is being ignored.

The ZOOMPAGEBOOST tag,
    <meta name="ZOOMPAGEBOOST" content="5">
    is a meta tag.

Like all meta tags it must be placed within the <HEAD> section of your HTML page.

If your template is not flexible enough to allow you to modify the page meta data, then you might need to make a code change to DNN or the WildPortfolio module. (We are not familar with the DNN source code, nor the WildPortfolio module and so can't comment on what exactly what would be required).

Comment

Thanks for checking it out. I suspected that meta being lower in the page was the problem. I will have to check with the company that created the WildPortfolio module to see if there is a way the meta tag can be set on the details page.

In the meantime, can you think of any other way to get the same result I'm looking for, without using a meta tag? Like maybe a bunch of "hidden" <H1> tags or something like that, so Zoom moves the page up in the ranking?

Comment

Yes, additional instances of the keyword in question will help. These instances can be in the body of the page, or in the meta data. (like meta keywords and page title).

Comment

You should also look at adjusting the settings on the "Weightings" tab of the Configuration window. Here you can boost the weighting of things like Headings and Page titles on a page, and increase their relevance. This way, if your detailed page contains "Madison" in the title (or in a heading), it will be boosted over your listing page, which would not have the word "Madison" in the title or heading.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
          X