gb2313 (simplified chinese) problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gb2313 (simplified chinese) problems

I have a seven language site. I have zoom working on all, but the chinese site. I'm using Javascript for searching for reasons outside of this question. I'm using GB2312 for encoding, I've set the encoding in zoom indexer accordingly, but I'm getting the following errors:
    1. malformed URI sequence" on getParam ("zoom_query") ret = decodeURIComponent(arg_values[1]);
    2. query has no properties: if (query.length ==0) {

Consequently, the search_template.html page's javascript to render data into the results div fails.

You can check it out here.

Much thanks,
    Kyle

Javascript does not handle GB2312 very well. This appears to be a documented issue on the Internet, although it is hard to tell since all mentions of it are in Chinese!

You said that your reason for using JS is "outside of this question", but I should point out that it is generally not recommended for an online web site (where you have a server available to run server-side scripting).

If possible, consider using UTF-8 for your search page instead. This should work fine with Chinese pages. If you configure Zoom to use UTF-8, even if you are indexing pages encoded in GB2312, it will automatically convert the data to UTF-8 for your search page.

You should also turn on "Support for single case languages" on the Languages tab of the Configuration window.

In the meantime, we'll look into this further to see if we can come up with some workaround that would allow GB2312 to work with JS.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
    X