hanging when finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hanging when finished

I am having a strange but harmless problem and wonder if anyone else is seeing it. I run 5-6 indexes per night with off line indexing and using Zoom 5.1 (build 1011) that does the upload to a ftp server at dreamhost.com.
    The jobs are run from another program using the command (where the config file changes)
    "C:\Program Files\Zoom Search Engine 5.1\ZoomIndexer.exe" -o "C:\Program Files\Zoom Search Engine 5.1\c-c.zcfg"

The log shows that the job is done. Here is a sample extract from the log:
    02/18/08 02:32:54 - Renaming files from .tmp filenames ...
    02/18/08 02:32:56 - Setting execute permission for search.cgi (755)
    02/18/08 02:32:56 - Files successfully uploaded
    02/18/08 02:32:56 - Files successfully uploaded.
    Yet, the process continues to run and is shown on the screen. In the morning I can not get focus on the open zoom window screen that I can see and have to stop the process. Typically there are two zoomindexer processes running. My first thought was that my internet connection failed and then re-established itself, but I see nothing in the System event logs.

Any thoughts?
    -Gabe Fineman
    Washington, DC [still defranchised]

Does this happen every time the same ZCFG file is run? Have you tried running this manually (outside of a scheduled job), and watching it through to see if the FTP goes through smoothly normally? It would help to narrow it down to whether it is a particular problem with that FTP server, or the scheduling, or if it happens irregularly, etc.

Also, what version of Windows are you using? (XP, Vista, etc.)
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Can you also confirm what the last message is on the screen when it appears to be "hung" (be it a message box or if it's the main Indexer window). You can create a debug log by enabling it from the "Index Log" tab in the Config window.
      --Ray
      Wrensoft Web Software
      Sydney, Australia
      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hanging when finished

I am sorry that I was incomplete in my message.
        This seems to happen sporadically with different zcfg files at different times of the night and never happens when I do it manually (and in the day time). Yes, I see the Main zoom indexer window (without the overlay of the upload box) and the last message is Files Successfully Uploaded at ... However, there is no focus on this window and I can not get focus (anywhere) until I stop one of the two running Zoom processes in task manager (the other then stops by itself)

I am running Windows XP Professional SP-2. I have the enterprise version of Zoom (build 1011) and run it off-line for CGI.

I will do debug logs, but, of course, after I wrote to you, it did not happen at all last night.

It is not worth a lot of effort. Please wait until it happens again and I have a log.
        -Gabe Fineman

Comment

OK, we'll look at it further when there is more information.

In the meantime, check if you have any firewall or Internet Security sort of applications (like Norton Internet Security) which may be blocking access to certain ports. It is unlikely that this would sporadically interfere, but it would be good to confirm if this occurs with these programs disabled.

Windows has a built-in firewall program as well, and it would help to confirm if the above occurs when this is also disabled. Some more information on Windows Firewall here.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hanging when finished

I use Zone Alarm and have turned off Windows Firewall. Zone Alarm either lets a program through or always blocks it. I see no reports of Zoom being blocked. I use McAfee and that has some blocking rules, but, again, I see nothing in the log at those times.
            -Gabe Fineman

Comment

Working...
            X