Error opening zoom_plugin.out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error opening zoom_plugin.out

I get this error message (inside a red background) at a certain PDF file while indexing HTM files and PDF files with the plug-in (and using DESC files). Indexing after initially opening Zoom gave me 4 other errors, but repeating the process afterwards resulted in only this 1 error.

Error: Could not open file: <Zoom Search Engine Indexer path>zoom_plugin.out

The PDF file doesn't seem corrupt; there are dozens of similar PDF files roughly the same size (100-130 KB), and it opens properly.

Any thoughts?

Leon

Might be an old bug or a Vista issue, what version of Zoom and the plug-in are you using on which O/S?

See also your previous post on the same issue for possible solutions.

Comment

Zoom 5.1.1002, Windows XP SP2, Offline mode, Javascript output

I just ran it this morning, and it gave me one error again, but at a different .pdf file!

My limits tab reads:
      Max. files to index: 4000
      Max. unique words: 100000
      Max. file size indexed: 2000 KB
      Max. description length: 250
      Optimization: Default

pdftotext.exe: 2/27/2007, 580 KB

Comment

That is a fairly old build (more than 6 months old) and the bug mentioned above has been fixed since then. Download the latest here:
        http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Nice try, Ray.

I admit, I often ignore the update notices. So I updated to the latest of both 5.1 and the plugins. Still no joy, although today's error is on yet another, different file. Here's the complete indexlog.txt entry for that file:

==================================
          01/17/08 07:57:40 - Error: Could not open file: C:\Documents and Settings\ldescoteaux\Local Settings\Application Data\Wrensoft\Zoom Search Engine Indexer\zoom_plugin.out
          01/17/08 07:57:40 - Skipping \\Docsql01\documentation\RoboHelp\8.2\imsmerge\pro jects\compliance_ref\acct_cpltestsetuprpt_us_oh.pd f (Could not open or read from file)
          01/17/08 07:57:40 - Skipping \\Docsql01\documentation\RoboHelp\8.2\imsmerge\pro jects\compliance_ref\acct_cpltestsetuprpt_us_oh.pd f.desc (Blocked by extensions list)

If it helps any, this file is #45 of a total 46 .pdf files with similar filenames. Here's the indexlog.txt entry for the successful #46 file that follows:

01/17/08 07:57:40 - Processing PDF file \\Docsql01\documentation\RoboHelp\8.2\imsmerge\pro jects\compliance_ref\acct_cpltestsetuprpt_us_wi.pd f
          01/17/08 07:57:40 - Using .desc file found for \\Docsql01\documentation\RoboHelp\8.2\imsmerge\pro jects\compliance_ref\acct_cpltestsetuprpt_us_wi.pd f
          01/17/08 07:57:40 - Indexing \\Docsql01\documentation\RoboHelp\8.2\imsmerge\pro jects\compliance_ref\acct_cpltestsetuprpt_us_wi.pd f
          01/17/08 07:57:40 - Skipping \\Docsql01\documentation\RoboHelp\8.2\imsmerge\pro jects\compliance_ref\acct_cpltestsetuprpt_us_wi.pd f.desc (Blocked by extensions list)

Comment

More on this subject:

One of the .pdf files that supposedly got indexed, as shown in the indexlog.txt file snippet below, actually did not!

================================
            01/17/08 07:57:12 - Processing PDF file \\Docsql01\documentation\RoboHelp\8.2\imsmerge\ims portal\82_release_notes.pdf
            01/17/08 07:57:13 - Using .desc file found for \\Docsql01\documentation\RoboHelp\8.2\imsmerge\ims portal\82_release_notes.pdf
            01/17/08 07:57:13 - Indexing \\Docsql01\documentation\RoboHelp\8.2\imsmerge\ims portal\82_release_notes.pdf
            01/17/08 07:57:13 - Skipping \\Docsql01\documentation\RoboHelp\8.2\imsmerge\ims portal\82_release_notes.pdf.desc (Blocked by extensions list)
            ================================

Weird, huh?

Comment

Did you read the 2nd post in the old thread that I referened above. Can you try removing the "Users" folder from the Indexing Options of Windows Indexing Service as suggested in that post.

Comment

XP SP2, Ray, not Vista...

Comment

Opps sorry. Didn't read that very well did I. Are you running Desktop search on XP. It is almost the same as the Vista search function. We'll have a to have a closer look on Monday.

I notice your log dumps have a space character in the "PD F" extension. e.g.
                  acct_cpltestsetuprpt_us_wi.pd f
                  Is this real or is it some artifact from posting in the forum?

Comment

Posting artifact...yeah, that's it!

Hmmm...sounds like something out of a white paper on archeology.

Comment

Did you manage to confirm/check if you are using Windows Desktop Search for XP?

As mentioned, this is similar to the Vista built-in search functionality, and can cause the problem as described here.

Another potential cause that comes to mind is if you are running multiple indexer sessions at the same time (ie: you have multiple instances of the Indexer running simultaneously)
                      --Ray
                      Wrensoft Web Software
                      Sydney, Australia
                      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

No, Ray, no WDS here (nothing under Control Panel, etc.), and I'm running only one Indexing run at a time.

And, of course, the run I just launched came up with errors on four .pdf files, two of them encountered on previous runs and two of them appearing for the first time.

Thx

Comment

ping (too short)

Comment

With the exception of the known cause on Vista (see above), this is not a problem other people are experiencing. So it is likely to be due to something special.

You are indexing across a local area network. And got an error, "Could not open or read from file". So maybe you are loosing your network connection for very short periods. As an experiment, try moving all the files to your local disk before indexing.

Comment

Error opening zoom_plugin.out

Hey Guys,
                              I have been experiencing the same issues (i.e. Random PDF's not being indexed).

First, I tried to slow down the spider throttling in the configuration settings, and more pdf's appeared to be indexed, but not all. This made me think about a timing issue? Could the application not be taking virus scanning into account? I temporarily turned off my virus scanner and the pdf's were then indexed.

Could it be that this application does not check and wait for files that could be locked/unlocked by your virus scanner?

Thx

Comment

Working...
                              X