Place special search result pages at top of resultlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Place special search result pages at top of resultlist

At our website we have some pages that are contact adress pages. They should be ranked at top of the search results, regardless if they have a high result score or not.

Unfortunately there are some pages pages which will be placed before these contact adress pages, because the searched keyword are often used in these pages.

How can I achive that these contact adress pages will be ranked at the top of the search results. Sill using <meta name="ZOOMPAGEBOOST" content="5">, the results will be ranked higher, but not on first position.

I have read this page: http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/faq_score.html, but I cannot see a solution for the problem.

Any suggestions?

Can you use recomended links?

See section 2.1.1, "Recomended links", of the Users Guide for details.

Comment

I cannot know what search phrases the user will use. And I do not have special keywords for those contact adress pages.

Comment

If you just want some link to appear on every search result page, no matter what the search term, then you can add the link to the search_template.html file.

It will apeear above all the other results however, and above the search form, unless you also create your own complex form for simple form (and disable the default form).

Comment

The page(s) should be listed first only if the page will be listed as a search hit in search result. Not in general.

I set zoomboost on these pages, which should be listed first, zoomboost=5 ranks the pages higher, but not on first position.

Comment

tweaking

Sounds like your just looking to tweak a page to be top issue if and only if it gets returned at all? Have you tried adding negative weight to all content for zoomwords, title, filename, etc? If you add a negative weight in the indexer for all fields I would assume the zoomboost would have a greater impact. It's an easy thing to try in any case as its just a reindex vrs any code/content changes on your site.
            There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand Binary and those who don't.

Comment

Jerren's idea is good, basically you would want to try and make the ZOOMBOOST more effective by lowering the score of all your other pages. Similarly you can place a ZOOMBOOST of -5 on all of your other pages.
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Maybe this might help. But I cannot use this method of wightening special pages differently anymore.

Can this be a suggestion for a next version? Boost pages to be on top? Maybe if set a special metatag oder use a high boost factor (200)?

Comment

It's somewhat of a rare requirement, I think. While it may seem good on the surface, in effect, it's not that great. If you imagine the "Contact Us" page on our website was forced to #1 for all results which contains it. This means it will be the top result even when searching for words such as: "software", "CD", "search", "website", etc. because it contains these words (even if just once).

A page rarely only contains words that it should be top result for. It often contains (even briefly) other words. If there really is only a small set of words which it should be a top result for, then you can define it as a Recommended Link.

And what happens when multiple pages in a list of search results are forced to #1? Which one takes preference?

Nonetheless, if more people express interest in this idea and have more scenarios where it would be significantly useful, then we would consider it for a future feature.
                  --Ray
                  Wrensoft Web Software
                  Sydney, Australia
                  Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
                  X