Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoom application disappears during indexing

Hi,

I was running an indexing and I checked back and the whole thing had disappeared (not just stopped). So, I cannot say how this happened since there was nothing to check. Do you know what causes this(RAM issue?) I am running Enterprise 5.1 on Vista and it says i have 1.87 GB RAM free (Zoom saying it needs 1.2GB for the process when it starts). I have figured from the tmp files that it was going for 4 hours --> I had a really big URL queue (~40,000) if that's any indication.
    Last edited by will; Dec-06-2007, 07:11 AM.

Make sure you are using the latest build (Version 5.1 build 1009). You can check this by clicking on "Help"->"About".

The latest build is available here:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/whatsnew.html

If you are using an older build, it may be susceptible to issues with the DEP setting in Windows. See this thread for more information.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Well I only recently downloaded it to Vista so I may already be using it but I'll try anyway. I cannot locate DEP by the path you specified in the post you linked. How do you find it in Vista? and what changes should be made?

Comment

Yes >>> I used the latest build and the disappear bug still occurred, so this problem has not been fixed.

Comment

Ah OK, I think I got it. Zoom DID add itself automatically to the DEP exclusion list BUT that option was not selected by default by Vista so it did not take effect (so I guess this is out of your control?).

CPanel >> System >> Advanced system settings >> Performance >> Settings >> Data Execution prevention >> Turn on services "except those I select" >> Zoom checked.

Comment

Actually scratch that last comment >> it still disappears

Comment

Disappearing applications is normally the result of a crash. The application crashes in such a way that even the crash window error message can not be displayed. Unfortunately this type of crash can be hard to find an fix and this case is even worse if it really takes 4 hours before the crash happens.

As we know V5 of the software is pretty stable, the crash is likely to be caused by a particaular web page or document, or a particaular configuration, or some 3rd party software messing up.

So we need to start collecting details of the problem. So can you,
              1) Give us the full specs of the machine. CPU, IE version, Vista version, total RAM, 32bit or 64bit
              2) Turn on the debug log in the Zoom configuration window. And start keeping the log files it generates. This might show that the crash always happens on the same file. Which would be nice as it makes debugging much easier.
              3) E-Mail us your Zoom configuration file and the indexing log (from point 2).

Comment

Hi, thanks thats really helpful! >> I've determined it is a particular file as you suggested. This solves it.

Comment

It would be *really great* if you can E-mail us this bad file. We can then improve the software to correctly deal with whatever is special about that file.

Comment

The link is here:

http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?S0108767391011686

However to view the full article (which is what Zoom tried to index), you will have to buy it from the publisher unless they have labelled it open access (I only have indexing permission). Note that I download the file through a PHP script on a WAMP server (so I can organise the metadata for Zoom to display), in case this means that it is not the file afterall, just an interaction of Zoom with the script/server.

So the real URL would be something like:

http://<host>/<script>.php?q=scripts...08767391011686

I guess I ask for these issues by tieing up all this stuff together.

Comment

Yes you have created a complicated scheme.

As we don't have access to either the source file, nor your download script, can't really test this.

Comment

Working...
                      X