Log file problem - Log filename and path not found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log file problem - Log filename and path not found

Hi. I have Zoom installed in two cgi folders on my server. We set up two cgi folders because we needed a "basic" and an "advanced" search form, and we didn't want to have to maintain two separate indexes just for this.

The problem is this: search logging is working in the advanced folder set, but not in the basic folders. When I run a search using the basic folder, I get this error:

No such file or directory. Log filename and path not found (./logs/searchwords.log). Check that you specified the correct log filename in your Indexer settings.

The server is running Win 2003 and IIS 6. The cgi folders are both subordinate to the wwwroot folder. Each of these contains a logs folder. The folder names are:

cgi-bin
    logs
    cgi-bin-adv
    logs

Except for the search form, everything in the two folder sets is identical. I've duplicated the security settings between the two folder sets, but the results were the same. I even tried temporarily giving all users of the basic folder full control, just to see if it was a rights-related issue, but even that didn't work.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,
    Robert Miles

Originally posted by duckstab View Post
    Hi. I have Zoom installed in two cgi folders on my server. We set up two cgi folders because we needed a "basic" and an "advanced" search form, and we didn't want to have to maintain two separate indexes just for this.
    This is unlikely to be the best way to go about achieving this.

First of all, are you aware that you can define your own search form in HTML? (see the FAQ: How do I define my own search form?). So you can go about creating one single search form as you need, and you could use DHTML to allow it to switch modes and hide/show options as necessary (this would require DHTML familiarity).

Second, do you actually need both of the basic/advanced search form on the same page as the search results? If not, for example, you could create a basic form on another web page, and your search results will always show the advanced search form. This would only require one extra search page (eg. basicsearch.html) which then points to the same CGI search, and not require you to index the site twice or use two sets of index files.

Originally posted by duckstab View Post
    The server is running Win 2003 and IIS 6. The cgi folders are both subordinate to the wwwroot folder. Each of these contains a logs folder. The folder names are:

cgi-bin
    logs
    cgi-bin-adv
    logs
    If you have the same set of files in both folders, and the CGI is unable to write to one of them, then chances are, the permissions and security settings are not actually the same for the two folders, and you may be missing something.

Refer to this support page on setting up logging:
    http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/logging.html

Check each of the steps carefully, especially those under the heading, "Getting logging working for the CGI version on a Windows Server 2003 machine with IIS 6.0"
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Problem solved

Hi Ray et al. Just wanted to let you know that our problem has been resolved. Here are specific responses to Ray's suggestions:

First of all, are you aware that you can define your own search form in HTML? (see the FAQ: How do I define my own search form?). So you can go about creating one single search form as you need, and you could use DHTML to allow it to switch modes and hide/show options as necessary (this would require DHTML familiarity).
      We had defined our own search forms, but our developer thought it would be easier to have two separate forms in their own folders versus building both versions of the forms into the same file. But after seeing your suggestion, he accepted the challenge and was able to combine the two forms into one.

If you have the same set of files in both folders, and the CGI is unable to write to one of them, then chances are, the permissions and security settings are not actually the same for the two folders, and you may be missing something.
      You were correct. There were a couple of differences between the folder sets:
      • First, the nonworking folder wasn't created as a virtual directory in IIS. I created a new virtual directory and gave it Read, Run Scripts, and Execute permissions.

• Second, the 'logs' subfolder didn't have Write permissions for the Internet Guest Account.

After creating a new virtual directory and giving the Internet Guest Account write access to the 'logs' subfolder, the logging began working!

Thanks for all your help.

Robert Miles

Comment

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it's all working now!
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X