CPU usage & URL queue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU usage & URL queue

Ever since ~ Version 5.1.1007 I have been having a problem. I have approx. 8,000 pages and the bulk of these are added to the queue via one page containing several thousand links. In versions prior to ~ 5.1.007, queueing and indexing were concurrent. Now, it seems no indexing takes place while the queue climbs up to ~4,000 URLs, then indexing initiates. While the queue is being built, CPU usage spikes up to 100% and stays there until indexing gets underway. Consequently, the whole process is substantially slower in more recent versions of Zoom Search than it was prior to ~ 5.1.1007. Is this now by design or might there be something else going on here?

I don't think there has been any changes to this area in the last couple of patches.

Indexing of page (including adding links found to the queue) and downloading of pages can take place at the same time.

If you configured Zoom to use more threads, then multiple downloads (and indexing) can occur at the same time.

Needless to say, dual core, or dual CPUs do a better job at performing multiple tasks at the same time. What CPU are you using, what limits do you have set and how much RAM is in the machine?

Do you have logging on? Turning this off might speed things up slightly.

If you want E-mail us the one big page and we can test it here.

Comment

Originally posted by wrensoft View Post
      If you configured Zoom to use more threads, then multiple downloads (and indexing) can occur at the same time.
      Needless to say, dual core, or dual CPUs do a better job at performing multiple tasks at the same time. What CPU are you using, what limits do you have set and how much RAM is in the machine?
      Do you have logging on? Turning this off might speed things up slightly.
      If you want E-mail us the one big page and we can test it here.
      I have a P4 3.06GHz with 1GB RAM on XP Pro SP2. I also configured Zoom for 3 threads with "reload all files (no cache)". Yes, I do have logging turned on, but do you mean Zoom search logging or do you mean web server logging? Both are enabled. I'm not sure how sending the page would help because I suspect this is a client-side issue and not a server-side issue. The perplexing behaviour is the queueing and no downloading/indexing. The queue becomes larger and larger yet no pages are downloaded & indexed until there are ~ 4,000 URLs in the queue.

Comment

I do have logging turned on, but do you mean...
        I mean the indexer logging (on the indexer log tab in the configuration window).

I'm not sure how sending the page would help...
        I was just going to time how long it took to queue on the 8000 URLs on our machines and have a look at when the indexing started & confirm it all looked normal. Rather than just speculate it makes more sense to gather some data (it will be quicker and you'll get an accurate answer, rather than a guess) .

Comment

Note that there is a difference to queueing URLs for one domain, as opposed to queuing up URLs for multiple domains. If you have changed your configuration so that it is indexing URLs to different domains (eg. your changed your spider option to "index and follow internal and external links"), or if you always had this option set, and only now started adding links on the page which go to more/different domains, then you may be noticing this difference.

While Zoom can index and download pages concurrently from one single domain (or start point) when multiple threads are enabled, it can not download pages from multiple domains at the same time.

It would help, as suggested above, if you can show us the page of links so we can look at the nature of your URLs to see if the above is the case. Else we can merely speculate at possibilities.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
          X