Indexing old web pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indexing old web pages

I'm fairly new to using Zoom but like what I see so far.

We have a small web site 25 pages that I had indexed several months ago and everything seemed to be working well.

I changed several of our web pages and renamed a lot of them. I put all of the correct pages in a separate folder and used Zoom to index that folder. I shouldn't see any page that is not in that folder. I uploaded the zoom_wordmap.zdat, zoom_pagetext.zdat, zoom_pageinfo.zdat, zoom_pagedata.zdat, zoom_dictionary.zdat and settings.asp to the website.

My problem is that some of the old pages are still showing up when I do a search. The ones that are showing up are definately not in the new folder that I use to index. Also, the Search_template.html and the search.html are also showing up on certain search words.

It doesn't look like new zoom_datetime.zdat, zoom_descriptions.zdat, zoom_spelling.zdat, zoom_titles.zdat and zoom_pages.zdat are being regenerated each time. Should they be?

Any idea what I am doing wrong, or why this would be happening?

The ZDAT files are regenerated each time you re-index. But it will not delete the files that you no longer need (i.e. it will overwrite the old files that need to be updated, but if a file is no longer needed or in use, it will leave it on the disk).

What might be confusing you, is that you most likely used an older version of Zoom at one point (V4.x I would suspect) and you have now upgraded to V5, and are writing files out to the same folder.

"zoom_titles.zdat", "zoom_descriptions.zdat" and "zoom_datetime.zdat" are not used (nor generated) by V5. These files were generated from an older version and are likely to be just sitting in the same folder from a previous index. "zoom_spelling.zdat" may or may not be generated with this version. If you have disabled spelling suggestion with your current configuration, then this file would no longer be generated or used.

Several possible reasons as to why your index is showing old files:
    • If you are using Spider Mode to index your website, you may be indexing from cached copies of your older pages. Check the option to "Reload all pages (do not use cache)" on the General tab of the Configuration window and try again.
    • Your new index configuration is writing the files to a different output folder than you expected, and you are in fact, uploading an older copy of the index files. Check your paths carefully.
    • You can be more sure of the previous point if you use Zoom's built-in FTP functionality to upload the files. In our experience, we have seen that it is more common for users to upload the wrong/older index files accidentally when they upload the files themselves.
    Hope that helps!
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks Ray, I'll check these items out later today.
      Paul

Comment

Working...
      X