Frontpage navigation structure and Zoom V.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frontpage navigation structure and Zoom V.5

I am currently having problems integrating the Frontpage navigation structure into Wrensoft Zoom 5 into my business website, http://www.skagitims.biz/. Either I do as I'm doing now which is link directly to search.php and go without the navigation bars or copy the navigation code to search_template.html but the search box itself doesn't appear.

So here's what I'm thinking at this point - put the navigation structure in and get the code from a fellow forum poster to restore the search box. If you could please help, I'd be very grateful.

Wrensoft Zoom, to me, is the premier affordable website search engine out there!!

Forgot to add...

In case you want to get into my search files and submit drafts for surgery - all search files are under http://www.skagitims.biz/SEARCH/

Thank you!

Comment

The best solution is to copy the navigation code into the search_template.html file. The search box should *not* disappear.

The search box disappearing might be due to a quirk / bug in Frontpage.

Frontpage might be stripping out HTML comments when you upload files using Frontpage. The search_template, must contains a HTML comment, <!--ZOOMSEARCH-->, like this,

<body>
      <!-- YOUR NAVIGATION CODE HERE -->
      <h1>Search this site</h1>
      <p>Enter one or more keywords to search</p>
      <!--ZOOMSEARCH-->
      </body>

Comment

Okay, I'll try uploading via SmartFTP and not FrontPage. The latter of which's FTP has a horrendous reputation.

Comment

If you let it, Zoom can FTP the files to your server. But if you use SmartFTP make sure you use binary mode for the ZDAT files.

Comment

Attempted but...

Originally posted by wrensoft View Post
            If you let it, Zoom can FTP the files to your server. But if you use SmartFTP make sure you use binary mode for the ZDAT files.
            I did decide to take your advice and let Zoom do the FTP.

So here's where I'm at now:
            • The search button on my website takes me to the search template
            • The search box is still missing
            • But http://www.skagitims.biz/SEARCH/search.php has both the search box + the buttons. All searches from there have the navigational buttons.

I have tried deleting and re-doing the search_template.html and come up with the same problems. The problem with Frontpage and your php is that the former won't place the buttons on search.php without a link to it and as to the latter (search.php) I don't know where to place the navigation code.

Maybe the solution is to program a search box directly into search_template.html but I don't know how to do that...
            Last edited by josefk; Nov-05-2007, 09:32 PM. Reason: Fix hyperlink

Comment

Still working the problem...

I'm still working on the problem. I may have a solution.

Comment

Sorry to report...

[This message has been edited to provide an update.]

But I'm at a dead end using PHP. I checked for the <!--ZOOMSEARCH--> and it's there. I also uploaded using Wrensoft - cool feature I frankly didn't have the guts to use until today.

After much frustration, I tried calling Microsoft about inserting their Frontpage 2003 website navigation code into php. They said it was impossible and apologized profusely. I also tried hacking into the navigation code to change from search_template.html to search.php - no go.

I finally went to Javascript and it works. Not by much, but it works without ads like Atomz or the php/search_template conflict.

That said, I will still use your php system for www.skagitriverhistory.com - that works out great.

But let me conclude please by giving a head's up to website builders: Do not use a Frontpage website template if you can... I have had headaches w/ the server accepting the buttons, the integral Frontpage website search engine didn't integrate w/ the server and now this with integrating Frontpage navigation into the Wrensoft search system. I just hope the Frontpage upgrade (Expression Web) is much, much better.
                Last edited by josefk; Nov-05-2007, 11:49 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

Wait, don't give up yet! I'm not 100% sure if this is your problem, but it seems like it's quite close to finished from what I'm seeing.

Your search page seems to be working fine here:
                  http://www.skagitims.biz/SEARCH/search.php

The only problem I can see on your site is that the "Search" button in your navigation menus, are linking to the template page instead:
                  http://www.skagitims.biz/SEARCH/search_template.html

I think that is your only problem remaining. You simply need to update your navigation menus in FrontPage so that they point to the "search.php" URL above, and NOT the "search_template.html" URL. You should never need to refer to the search template directly.

I hope that helps, but let us know if there are still other issues, or if I have misunderstood the problem.
                  --Ray
                  Wrensoft Web Software
                  Sydney, Australia
                  Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                    Wait, don't give up yet! I'm not 100% sure if this is your problem, but it seems like it's quite close to finished from what I'm seeing.

Your search page seems to be working fine here:
                    http://www.skagitims.biz/SEARCH/search.php

The only problem I can see on your site is that the "Search" button in your navigation menus, are linking to the template page instead:
                    http://www.skagitims.biz/SEARCH/search_template.html

I think that is your only problem remaining. You simply need to update your navigation menus in FrontPage so that they point to the "search.php" URL above, and NOT the "search_template.html" URL. You should never need to refer to the search template directly.

I hope that helps, but let us know if there are still other issues, or if I have misunderstood the problem.
                    Oh you haven't misunderstood the problem. The problem with the Frontpage navigation bars is that:

a) One has to link to the webpage itself (search_template.html) directly for the code to be triggered.
                    b) You can't go behind the interface and hack them over to .php because as the Microsoft technician explained to me Frontpage doesn't support php nor is the navigation structure available to back-door hackers.

So I went with Javascript (sigh!) and it works okay. Thanks!
                    Last edited by josefk; Nov-05-2007, 11:55 PM. Reason: Overuse of pronouns

Comment

Oh, I see what the problem is now. FrontPage's template system limits you to only add a menu item to a page that will contain the menu item itself. In this case, we want the menu item to reside on "search_template.html" but the link in the menu item to go to "search.php", this is not possible with FrontPage templates.

I don't think the issue is so much that it doesn't "support PHP", because you could have the same problem if you wanted the menu item to reside on "page1.html" but the link to goto "page2.html".

It does seem rather restrictive and a bit of an oversight on Microsoft's behalf. There are probably other ways to modify the HTML outside of FrontPage, but it may defeat the point of using the templates. Nonetheless, glad to hear you've found an acceptable alternative.
                      --Ray
                      Wrensoft Web Software
                      Sydney, Australia
                      Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Just occured to me there's one other workaround for the PHP version. You can choose to try this if you've got some spare time, or stick with what you have with the Javascript version, if you like.

First up, this workaround would compromise the ability for the search form to "remember" your last entered search query.

Basically, from what you had before, you can add your own search form to the "search_template.html" page as explained in this FAQ:
                        Q. How do I put search forms on pages besides the search page? (Or define my own search form?)

You will then have a search form on your "search_template.html" page, but when you perform a search query, you will see two search boxes (one of them is the automatically generated one). You can turn off the latter from the Zoom Configuration window, under the "Search Page" tab, and changing the Search Form dropdown from "Advanced" to "Do not generate". Reindex and reupload the files, and you should now only have one search box.

This will allow you to link to the "search_template.html" page, and have a working search box there.

Note to other readers that the above usage method is not generally recommended, except in this scenario where it is a necessary workaround to the limitations of FrontPage templates.
                        --Ray
                        Wrensoft Web Software
                        Sydney, Australia
                        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Thanks Raymond.

I just think Microsoft sometimes either fails to realize its power and/or forces people a certain way because of that power & girth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                            Just occured to me there's one other workaround....
                            This works good for me. Thank you!

Comment

I have had some success with this.

If you don't do this just right, you won't get your Link Bar in the Shared borders on the Search Page, and/or you won't get the box into which the search criteria should be entered.

First, you run the Zoom Search Engine Indexer. I am using version 5.1. I also use Asp. This will yield eight files:
                              search.asp
                              search_template.html
                              settings.asp
                              zoom_dictionary.zdat
                              zoom_pagedata.zdat
                              zoom_pageinfo.zdat
                              zoom_pagetext.zdat
                              zoom_wordmap.zdat

Import all eight files to some directory in Frontpage, say _ZoomSearchEngine. Create _ZoomSearchEngine in the Folder List by Right Click, New Folder. Then Click File Import to get the files.

Double click on search_template.html, then Format, Shared Borders, Apply To Current Page, OK. I am assuming that your Link Bars are in the Shared Border.

Click View, Navigation and with the mouse drag search.asp into your navigation structure. Rename it in the navigation structure to SEARCH (or whatever you like). This is what the user will see, and this is what the user will click to get to the Search function.

Then with the mouse, drag search_template.html to the navigation structure. Put it right next to SEARCH (mainly so that you know where it is). Right click on search_template.html, then click 'Included In Link Bars'. It will then appear in the navigation as structure as greyed out. Thus, search_template.html will NOT appear in the Link Bars in the Shared Border.

Explanation: search_template.html must be in the navigation structure in order for the entries in the Link Bar in the Shared Border to appear, but you must NOT call search_template.html directly because if you do the 'Search for Box' will be missing. It must be called from search.asp. Yes, that IS confusing.

Then publish your web site.

I have also saved this information on a page on my website: http://www.panoramiccomputing.com/TomAnselmo/Computing/BangZoomMoon.htm The web site page will be kept up to date in case I learn something else about this issue.

Tom Anselmo

Comment

Working...
                              X