Crash when clearing Start Points list of 500,000 URLs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash when clearing Start Points list of 500,000 URLs

I've got about 500,000 start points (external URLs) loaded for the config file I'm working on. I'd like to keep the config file (rather than starting from scratch as I've probably made about 30 changes from default settings) but need to remove all the start points so I can load a revised list of start points. How does one remove all of those start points easily?

Thanks. -- Rik
    Last edited by Rik Brown; Oct-20-2007, 08:11 PM.

You click on the "More" button to open the start points list, and then click "Remove all".

Then you can save the configuration to a new filename, and create a new list as needed.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
      You click on the "More" button to open the start points list, and then click "Remove all".

Then you can save the configuration to a new filename, and create a new list as needed.
      Thanks, Ray. But it wouldn't allow me to do that. After clicking on the "more" button, Zoom works for about 4 minutes and then aborts/exits the program. It doesn't seem to want to handle the 500,000 (I'm guessing) starting points that we previously loaded from the command line option (although it had no problem spidering the list).

I think what happened is when we executed Zoom from the command line with the -addpages parameter several times (test batches of about 100,000 urls each) it just kept appending those new URLs to the previous list which has grown rather large (yes, we probably shouldn't have done that but we were trying various options to see how they work as part of the learning curve).

As a work around, I took an editor and simply edited out most of the URLs from the config file (82 MB) and was then able to use the "more" button to clean out the remaining few URLs and save the config file to start anew.

But it would be nice if there were perhaps a command line option to delete all those pages ("-deletepages *") since we appeared to be taxing the memory limits (even with 2GB RAM). Or, perhaps store the URL list in a file separate of the config file that one could manually delete?

Thanks. -- Rik
      Last edited by Rik Brown; Oct-20-2007, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Hmm, it would be a bug if it aborted/disappeared on its own. Admittedly, it's a large number of start points which is likely to be the triggering condition, but it should never crash like that, and at worse, should return an error message.

Could you ZIP up the config file and e-mail it to us? This would allow us to track down the crash bug. I know it's a large file, but it should compress well with ZIP. If it is still too large, contact us and we can give you FTP access.

We will look into ways of handling such large number of start points in the next major release, and take your suggestions into consideration.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
        X