ftp empty search files after drive-mapping gets disconnected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ftp empty search files after drive-mapping gets disconnected

I have set a schedule to scan a mapped network drive and use ftp to upload the resultant files.

Sometimes the drive-mapping gets disconnected (even though it is set to reconnect at startup and runs as admin user), the scheduled index runs (nothing is indexed) and zoom uploads empty files to the search directory on my webserver.

Unfortunately, I only find out when I use the search myself only to have "0 files found". When I check the logs, people have been searching for weeks with no results. Ouch!

Is there a way to stop the ftp upload if the site is not indexed or stop the sheduled index if the drive is not connected?

Interesting situation. I am familiar with Windows' drive mapping feature and its tendency to inconveniently forget itself (despite the "reconnect at startup" setting). This is a bug in Windows which annoys me on a regular basis.

My first question would be, is it possible to specify your index folder with a UNC path instead? That is, instead of "G:\MySite\Files\", it would be something like, "\\OurServer\Bob\MySite\Files\". This would avoid any dependency on the drive mapping being in place (which could also be an issue should the drive letter change when you install a drive or device, or if the mapping is removed, etc.)

Generally, Zoom will not automatically upload the files if the indexing actually failed and zero files were indexed. Are you using Zoom to upload the files or a third party FTP client?

On the other hand, if there are other files and folders being indexed, and they do index fine, just that some of your additional start points are now unreachable, then Zoom will upload the files and assume those additional files are simply not available anymore.
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I use zoom to ftp the files to the webserver. On Friday I moved zoom to another computer on the network, did a manual index, uploaded the files successfully, set up the scheduled task and logged off the machine.

I have checked the server (sunday) and the schedule has run but all of the .zdat files are 1-2kb and no search results are being returned.

I will test your suggestion asap. Regards.

Comment

Working...
      X