• How do you do a full re-index?

How do you do a full re-index?

You load up your configuration file, and click 'Start indexing'
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

What do you mean "load up", upload, setup, what file name?

Comment

As in, you click "File"->"Load configuration" and select the ZCFG file which you have saved your indexing configuration to previously.

You should save your configuration after making changes in Zoom, to make it easy for you to re-index to the exact same settings.

By default, Zoom loads the "zoom.zcfg" configuration file. So if you have saved your configuration to the default file, then you should not need to manually load the configuration file.
        --Ray
        Wrensoft Web Software
        Sydney, Australia
        Zoom Search Engine

Comment

I'm wondering if I can edit the configuration and save it, then upload the settings.php w/o having to re-index a site? I don't always need to re-index but I sometimes need to change settings. Will I lose any search capability that way?
          MouseClicks (MC)

Comment

Do not mix files from different indexing sessions!

Don't use a settings file from one session and upload that single file to be used with a set of ZDAT index files from a different session. This will break functionality. The settings file contain important data that only correspond to the index files it is generated with. It should never be separated from the other index files.

Saving your configuration will NOT apply changes to the "settings.php" file.

The settings file is only updated when you re-index.

If you have alot of files to index, and you are still in the setting up stage, and likely to be tweaking options, you should set a low limit (or hit "Stop indexing") at around 20 or so pages, and use that for the moment.

Once you have finalized your configuration, and got things to appear as you want, then change your limits back and allow it to index the full site.

There is also Incremental Indexing if you need to add pages on a regular basis and want to save time/traffic. In general though, unless you have 100,000+ pages, it is best to re-index. See the Users Guide for more details.
            --Ray
            Wrensoft Web Software
            Sydney, Australia
            Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
            X