CGI front end and Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CGI front end and Firefox

I am using the CGI front end to run the search engine from a standalone DVD. However while this works fine in IE, Firefox because of built in security will not allow you to run .exe files from within the browser.

Is there a simple way around this without serious editing of some Firefox files?

Thanks

How are you linking to the front end, from your DVD? I presume you have HTML web pages on your DVD which link to the front end via HTML like the following?

Code:
    <a href="cgifrontend.exe">search this DVD!</a>
    If not, can you tell us what you are doing instead exactly?

The above is not so ideal, even in IE, you would be prompted to run or save the file. In Firefox, the same occurs, although no direct option to run it. It allows you to save it, and then you can select to "Open" it from the downloads window.

The front end is more designed to be executed from another application as opposed to a browser. It could also be automatically executed from autoplay if setup accordingly.

Have you looked at the Server2Go option?
    --Ray
    Wrensoft Web Software
    Sydney, Australia
    Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the response,

Yes I am linking directly to the executable file from the browser. I'll have a look at the "servertogo" approach it was just that the CGI approach on the face of it was relatively quick and easy, just hadn't factored in the issue of running exe files within a browser, hence the query if there was an easy way around this.

Thanks

Comment

Sorted!, for those that are interested there is a plugin for firefox called "Opendownload" https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...id=207&vid=459

This allows the same "run" capability as can be found in IE. The search link wont go directly to the CGI.exe, in so far as you still get the option box coming up when you click the link, but at least you can now select "run" and get it to open .

regards

Comment

Working...
        X