Features Understanding - Synonyms, logging & CSS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Features Understanding - Synonyms, logging & CSS

I use several features of zoom and find it strange, or am I wrong in understanding the functionalit? such as

1. Synonyms, I thought that synonyms is used for spelling suggestion (mis spelling, which is written in the application), so I try to type

word : inves
    synonyms : investment, invest

and I do a search with "inves" and find nothing about investment or invest. Can I know why?

2. I used the features of Search Logging, the default path is ./logs/searchwords.log and when I do a search there is an error message like this : No such file or directory. Log filename and path not found (./logs/searchwords.log). Check that you specified the correct log filename in your Indexer settings.

And so I create the "logs" folder (and I also create an empty searchwords.log file inside it) in the folder where search.cgi resides, but to no avail, and I copy the logs folder to the my application folder but it also error.

3. Highlight features is strange. The search result has highlight (which I enabled in search result option), which is giving the search word yellow highlited. But I don't want the yellow highlight, I want it just to be bold like the one in google. So I disable the highlight option in zoom. But I find no css classname that can be used to bold my word, in fact the classname is highlight, but the classname is there only when you enable the highlight, if you disable the highlight the output generated will not contain "<SPAN ID="highlight">my search word</SPAN>" (less or more the tag look like what I type). The other work around that I do is, I enable the highlight, and so the "highlight" classname is generated (with yellow color of course), and so I use my css configuration to configure the classname so that it appear bold, and I find no css configuration to make the text back color change to white (or to no color) to match my application backcolor.

Can anybody helps me?

And I really hope that we can use google like search, like using and/or operator, and advance stuff in "inurl:" tags and so on. I think that parsing those words is not a real problem, is it hard to implement it using the indexing file?

1) Synonyms can be used for variations of words, common misspellings, etc. and allow you to map them to an equivalent word in the index. See the user guide for more details.

You will need to re-index your website and upload the new index for any new synonyms to take effect.

2) See this FAQ for seting up logging.

3) See this FAQ for editing the CSS on the results page. Include the highlight CSS.

4) For the available search syntax see this FAQ.

Comment

dear admin
      I have customize the highlight and read the FAQ in that post with this code

.highlight { font-weight: bold; }

and the result is yellow highlighted with bold text. I just want the bold text without the yellow highlight.

And for the synonyms error, I have reindex the site for sure, and I find "inves" and the result does not contains entry with word "invest" and "investment".

Sorry about my poor english, I have just bought your product last thursday (enterprise license) and experiencing this difficulty, can you help me?

Comment

dear admin again, I follow the faq for Search Logging,
        I specify the name ./logs/searchwords.log
        and I create the folder in the physical path (myappname/zoomsearch/logs)
        and I give it permission to IUSR_MYCOMPNAME for write permission
        and also in the IIS, I give it anonymous access
        and the error still happen

No such file or directory. Log filename and path not found (./logs/searchwords.log). Check that you specified the correct log filename in your Indexer settings

Comment

1.) Regarding Synonyms, please refer to the "Synonyms" help page (click on the "Help" button on the Synonyms tab. You will see the following description:

A synonym definition has two fields:
          1.Word: This is the word that the synonyms will be mapped to. It should be a word that actually appears in the content of your website.
          2.Synonyms: This is a list of words separated by commas that will be considered equivalent to the indexed word. When a user searches for any of these words, they will get the same search results as if they searched for the indexed word. All occurrences of the words in this synonym list will also appear as a search result when you search for the indexed word.
          As it suggests, the reason you are not getting any results when searching for "inves" is because you have it mapped the wrong way around (unless you actually have the word "inves" on your website).

You should instead, be creating a synonym like the following (assuming the word 'investment' appears on your website):

word: investment
          synonyms: inves, invest

2.) Your logging problem is most likely permissions. If you are new to configuring user permissions in IIS, it can be tricky to get right your first time. Did you set the "Write" property in IIS under the "Directory" tab? Please read the instructions carefully on the FAQ page, as there are more steps there. Also note that if you are using IIS 6.0 (Server 2003 or Vista), you will need to refer to the additional section at the bottom of the page regarding more procedures to setup permissions correctly.

These are IIS permission setup issues, and unless we can see exactly what you have setup on your server (which we can't, over here), it is hard for us to tell you what is wrong.

3.) The yellow colour of the highlighting is only applied by the CSS in the default "search_template.html" file. You should be modifying the CSS in this file if you wanted to change it to bold only (by removing the colour).

It sounds like you've added your CSS to another file instead, so you are now seeing the result of combining two CSS definitions for the "highlight" class.
          --Ray
          Wrensoft Web Software
          Sydney, Australia
          Zoom Search Engine

Comment

thanks a lot ray

I just find that the generated html actually use the css from search_template.html while mine is using my own css file! And so the css definition is set twice.

And About the synonyms, after trying what you said, I find it working now. I search the error word "inves" and investment, invest and other results are now coming out. But I find it a bit strange, since these words are not bold, which currently my setting will bold out search word. If i try to search for "investment" the word is bold (while "inves" is not). Is there any different treatment for search word that is found using synonyms?

About search logging, I find it working after changing it from relative path to absolute path, I change it to C:\inetpub\wwwroot\mywebapp\zoomsearch\logs\search words.log and it is working perfectly, I try to use the relative path .logs/searchwords.log and it is not working, both uses the same IIS and folder permission setting!

FYI, i use winxp, and IIS 5.1
            Is the IIS 5.1 treating the current running path differently?
            From my past experience, I have encountered that my web is running in c:\windows\system (or system32) and so when combining path, it uses the system folder instead of the application folder. Do you know why?

Thank you so much.
            John
            WebPacific

Comment

Originally posted by innosia View Post
              But I find it a bit strange, since these words are not bold, which currently my setting will bold out search word. If i try to search for "investment" the word is bold (while "inves" is not). Is there any different treatment for search word that is found using synonyms?
              This is a known limitation of the highlighting feature. It will only highlight the exact word that you searched for, and not any equivalent words found (either as synonyms, or accent insensitivity).

About search logging, I find it working after changing it from relative path to absolute path, I change it to C:\inetpub\wwwroot\mywebapp\zoomsearch\logs\search words.log and it is working perfectly, I try to use the relative path .logs/searchwords.log and it is not working, both uses the same IIS and folder permission setting!

FYI, i use winxp, and IIS 5.1
              Is the IIS 5.1 treating the current running path differently?
              From my past experience, I have encountered that my web is running in c:\windows\system (or system32) and so when combining path, it uses the system folder instead of the application folder. Do you know why?
              This is not default behaviour for IIS 5.1, as far as I know. But your server may have changed default working directory (which is configurable) - either by yourself, someone else, or an application you installed. This is, however, default behaviour with IIS 6.0 and so this is why it is documented in the IIS 6.0 section of that help page.

And on a side note, looking back at the original post, it was just brought to my attention that I should address your following comment:

1. Synonyms, I thought that synonyms is used for spelling suggestion (mis spelling, which is written in the application)
              There is a seperate Spelling Suggestion feature in Zoom which is unrelated to the Synonyms list ("Configure"->"Search Page"->"Provide spelling suggestion when less than ... results found for search term"). This feature will automatically make suggestions ("Did you mean ... ?") for alternate search terms when your search query yields few results. You do not need to specify all the possible misspellings here, it will try to guess based on words it has found on your website. See the Users Guide for more details.

Of course, you can also use the Synonyms feature to specify precise mis-spellings if you know exactly what people are misspelling, or for ones that the automatic spelling suggestion doesn't pick up (it's effectiveness varies depending on the content of your site, and the nature of the mis-spelling).
              --Ray
              Wrensoft Web Software
              Sydney, Australia
              Zoom Search Engine

Comment

Working...
              X